Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In at the DEEP End. Need Tech help

Options
  • 20-04-2010 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I'm looking for some technical help.

CM Cosmos S Case
    Modular 750w psu by High Power
    Intel i7 965 Extreme chip
    Zalman Copper Chipset Heatsink
    ASUS PTD6 Deluxe Mainboard
    Intel 80gb SSD/Seagate 1tb
    6gb of Triple channel DDR3 RAM
    EVGA Nvidia GTX280 driver 197 (latest one)

Basically the build went fine barring one problem. The heat sink is too large to enable the side panel to close. There's a large Fan on the side of the case, we we removed.
    Here's the problem, in the book that came with the case, it said that fan was for cooling the Graphics card.
    While playing Need for Speed Shift the card temp has shown 105 degrees.

I have EVGA Precision Tool, where I under clock all settings and manually turn the card's fan to 100. The card was second hand but it was taken apart cleaned and put back together, so I'm pretty confident the card isn't faulty

I was lucky, I purchased bits for a good price, which are I hope are all in working order, but Need for Speed should not run at 90 degrees, espicially if its under clocked. So after forking out a large wad already basically, I was told that its water cooling.

Guys & Girls I really need help. I put alot into getting this machine, all I want it to run right.
    I'll admit that maybe I went OTT but I love my gaming, movie's, & I'm hoping it will last a few years to stream media thru out the house.

Am really looking forward to a few replies
    Thanks for reading
    Dan

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

sounds strange alright, i wonder if the air flow in your case has been affected by the removal of that side fan. is there any extra pci components you installed that sits in front of the GPU by any chance?

on a similar note, i had to reposition the side fan on my case, which resulted in my GPU rising to 90 under load. I bought a PCI exhaust fan that sits just under the GPU that controls the flow outside the back of the case, my temperatures have dropped about 10 degrees (i have a gtx 295 by the way). i was gonna link you to this little gem of a fan, but komplett is fecked and i dont see it in stock. only costs about 8 euro i think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭allen175

Alot of the GTX 280's had heating issues anyway. Is this a recent heating issue, like after a driver update, because one of the 197.xx drivers was causing GPU's to over heat.

What are the idle temperatures on the card?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

The side fan helps cooling the card. It is not a requirement and should never be a requirement for cooling the gfx card. I have the case myself btw and removed the side fan for the same reasons.

196.75 drivers were killing cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

ye plus +1 on the drivers issue go to an older driver just make sure to use driver sweeper in safe mod to remove the 197#### driver then install the older driver also try get a software to control the gpu fan speed and then look at your temps

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Dante1979

sounds strange alright, i wonder if the air flow in your case has been affected by the removal of that side fan. is there any extra pci components you installed that sits in front of the GPU by any chance?

on a similar note, i had to reposition the side fan on my case, which resulted in my GPU rising to 90 under load. I bought a PCI exhaust fan that sits just under the GPU that controls the flow outside the back of the case, my temperatures have dropped about 10 degrees (i have a gtx 295 by the way). i was gonna link you to this little gem of a fan, but komplett is fecked and i dont see it in stock. only costs about 8 euro i think

Thanks Cherryghost I'll have a look on Komplette

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Komplett is messed up right now, but you can usually find slot coolers in Elara and PC World for under a tenner :)

allen175 wrote: »
    Alot of the GTX 280's had heating issues anyway. Is this a recent heating issue, like after a driver update, because one of the 197.xx drivers was causing GPU's to over heat.

Right now this second its Idling at 41 degress
    I am running driver 197

allen175 wrote: »

It's a new build with a second hand card, installed with the latest drivers the day it came online. I thought that large fan was for sucking the hot air out of the case, giving the card some breathing room, so to speak

Dante1979 wrote: »
    Thanks Cherryghost I'll have a look on Komplette

I found a Zalman fan that's designed to sit under the graphics card and suck out the heat, I might try one of them but their copper so I doubt the will be 8 bricks.

Could you tell me where about's on the site you seen the cooler so I can have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

I found a Zalman fan that's designed to sit under the graphics card and suck out the heat, I might try one of them but their copper so I doubt the will be 8 bricks.

Could you tell me where about's on the site you seen the cooler so I can have a look.

If its made out of copper then it's actually a cooler for the GPU, not a slot cooler.

I had a little look around but cant seem to find the PCI slot coolers in either Peats or Maplin, and no luck on Komplett either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FG-003-ZA&groupid=701&catid=57&subcat=399

not quite the one i have, mine connects via molex to the power supply, this slots in via PCI slot

EDIT: This is the one i have! :P

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SY-000-GE&groupid=701&catid=57&subcat=399

Thank you all for your responses. I'm sorry its taken so long to reply as the end result was a liquid Cooled Pc.
    I think the second hand GPU may have had fan damage from its earlier drivers.

Know it runs an no higher than 50 degrees under the most graphic intensive games.
    I didn't have much change from €400, which is what I would have paid for a High End card which the system deserved.

Again thank you for your replies, and I will be posting some items on adverts. Including the Zalmann Copper CPU heat-sink and an XPS brand New 750w non modular PSU
    Dante

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Know it runs an no higher than 50 degrees under the most graphic intensive games.
    I didn't have much change from €400, which is what I would have paid for a High End card which the system deserved.

50 Degrees is about right. My GTX280 doesnt get 60/70 even after a heavy gaming session of a few hours

Advertisement