Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strobist Qs.

Options
  • 20-04-2010 8:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭

Hello.

Couple of quick questions:

For my birthday Im getting another SB600, I take it I can use them on different channels without the need for something like the wireless speed commander? I'm looking into Strobist stuff and as expensive as it is, I'd rather know what Im getting myself into first!

Also, Does anywhere in Dublin sell Flash-gun stands? A quick look on the Berminghams site shows nothing, John Gunn doesn't have a website as far as I can see and the Camera Exchange has closed down(?)

Any general strobist tips you've picked up yerself would be nice too!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

do they not come with tripod mounts?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Both of my SB-600's came with stands with a screw mount. They've been on various tripods several times without any issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

Id say all of the shops would have them, try ringing them?? Or just buy them on amazon or ebay where they are probably a good bit cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭hmboards

I've recently started using a Gorillapod to hold my flash - very handy for clamping onto anyting nearby and fits easily in the camera bag. Here's the John Gunn website BTW http://www.johngunn.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

the need for a remote commander is determined by your camera

D200 D300 dont need an RC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭WheresMyCamera?

mehfesto wrote: »
    Hello.

Couple of quick questions:

For my birthday Im getting another SB600, I take it I can use them on different channels without the need for something like the wireless speed commander? I'm looking into Strobist stuff and as expensive as it is, I'd rather know what Im getting myself into first!

Also, Does anywhere in Dublin sell Flash-gun stands? A quick look on the Berminghams site shows nothing, John Gunn doesn't have a website as far as I can see and the Camera Exchange has closed down(?)

The best irish online shop I've seen, certainly for range of gear has to be Barker Photographic. Based in cork but they do deliver to the rest of the country. It'll at least give you an idea of prices of equipment in ireland.

Conns cameras also has some stands in their shop on display. Mind you it's been a few months since I was in any camera shop, mostly for fear of spending cash :o

Do you really need another SB600? They're about €300 in shops here right? It's just that for that amount of money you could get yourself a lot of other gear. For example, Stand, umbrella, umbrella bracket, remote triggers and maybe even another flash!

The Gadget Infinity website has loads of little packages and come highly recommended from strobists.blogspot.com. Look at what you can get in the Studio Flash Combo for Product B pack. Things to be aware of is delivery is probably another $100 and duty/customs fees too. However that can still work out pretty well.

Other options are getting cheap radio transmitters on ebay. While not always not the most reliable, if it's something you're just trying out and are not sure about keep costs down.

If you already have a half decent tripod that can give you a bit of height then you'll only need one lightstand if you're going for a two light set up. Use the stand that came with your sb600 and screw it onto the tripod.

As always eBay can really be your friend when picking up little bits of gear. However as certain Strobist items can be very popular they can really go up in price.
    And lets not forget about adverts.ie either.

I take it you already read the strobist blog? Have you looked at the Lighting 101 Section yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

The new PW's can flash sync to any speed almost, not limited by camera flash sync. These are my next investment when I can afford them to upgrade on my PW+'s!

Cheap light stands can e bought on amazon for about £12 ( I have 2 and they are ok but very light when outside so be careful if there is a breeze!) and umberellas are about £10 on amazong too and brackets are a few quid...works out about £35 for stand, bracket and umberella. Cheap as chips an does the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

I use an sb-600 and sb-800 with a couple of cactus4 receivers and a trigger. cheap as chips and works a treat, however the disadvantage is that the cactus switches don't carry the ttl information so it's flying by the seat of your pants, as it were. I enjoy that and pretty much don't bother with metering, just crank the strobes up or down and flute round with the exposure. I've used a Dutch online store called http://www.cameratools.nl/ to buy the triggers, light stands and umbrellas

With the 600 & 800 and a few modifiers I'm getting results like this:

4519381732_0bfafaa236.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭sikahunter

last time i was in halls in talbot street the light stands were 49.99 great looking ones too

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭WheresMyCamera?

Hugh_C wrote: »
    I've used a Dutch online store called http://www.cameratools.nl/ to buy the triggers, light stands and umbrellas

Thanks for that site!! I had come across it before and forgot to bookmark it. Seems to be one of the few places that've had Westcott stuff in Europe. Tried getting a 28" Apollo softbox the last time I was in the states and everywhere was sold out. :( Still a fair price difference to the US price though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

Cheers for all the help lads.
    Had a look at some of them sites and am totally intrigued now. I've been looking at strobist for months... can't wait to get cracking at it.

I really want to go uber-portable. So I think Pete's suggestion is best. I'd imagine this with a modification to make it more sturdy at the base would be fine. But Im open to suggestions.

I've a d700, so taking what was said here, I'd imagine commander is cool, but can I set same brand flashes to different channels? I've currently loaned out my flashgun, so I can't toy around to see if it only works on the one channel. I'd imagine it'd be cool? If it is cool, there'd be no need for wireless triggers then, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

I've a d700, so taking what was said here, I'd imagine commander is cool, but can I set same brand flashes to different channels? I've currently loaned out my flashgun, so I can't toy around to see if it only works on the one channel. I'd imagine it'd be cool? If it is cool, there'd be no need for wireless triggers then, right?

I think so, I know you can with Nikon flashes. You'd have no need for wireless triggers if you have line-of-sight, but I think you might be affected by ambient light or other strobes going off on the same set. Don't take this as Gospel though. I've been using the Cactus triggers for a while and can't exactly remember what I used to do before ...

Advertisement