Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

two stroke diesel

Options
  • 19-04-2010 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I have a howard gem two stroke diesel rotavator which was always hard to start but lately it starts and runs for ten seconds and then dies off and stops.Ihave bled the fuel pipes and cleaned filters but no joy,any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

If you are sure you are getting fuel to the engine if might be an idea to check that the injector is atomising the diesel correctly.

My hunch however would be that the engine is starving for oxygen and that you are either not getting enough air or not clearing the exhaust correctly.

I don't know anything about 2 stroke diesels really but if either of the ports are blocked it may cause this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

open the diesel pipe where it goes into the injector and make sure you are getting diesel as far as there

• Registered Users Posts: 43 foley_b

have fuel at injector but seems to be squirting out rather than atomising,had been running ok last week and shut down as normal,I thought it might be drawing air in the fuel line so I remade all connections but no luck.thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭roryq69

I dont know anything about engines but i do have a petrol generator that done somethin similar to your diesel. It went fine for about a week(used on a building site) then it sat in the shed for a few weeks but it showed no problems b4 that. When i took it out again it ran for a few minutes and then cut out, first i thought it ran outta petrol but it was nearly full. Turned out it was just low on oil. Had a safety built in that shut it down if there was'nt enough oil. You probably checked already but just in case.

its ok for oil,i don't think it has a safety shutdown.i was talking to a mechanic and he thinks it might be dirt restricting fuel flow so i'm going to drain the tank and i think there might be an intank filter which might have disintegrated as this is a 1950s machine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭dunsandin

Hi, barring an old diesel is mechanically fecked, if it is getting fuel, and air, it will run. So, take off your tank, wash it out with jizer, pull all filters and replace, you are getting a dribble of diesel at the injector cos you are slackening the pipe before the injector - it should just be a dribble - I presume. I would imagine your problem is 1: a tank blocked with crud. 2:Filters blocked with crud. Clean and replace, bleed through, and happy days. 9.999 times out of 10, this will do the job. Also check that you have no splits in the feed pipes letting in fresh air, air and diesel no mixo, so look for blockages and leaks. The Howard diesels are tough and simple, its just not getting enough airless diesel.

drained fuel tank,cleaned filters and put everything back together and it started farely easy.I started to rotavate the garden and the bloody drive chain broke,have it out now ready to fix when I get a new link.thank you all for your help:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭dunsandin

Do yourself a favour and forget the new link, buy a new chain, or you will spend the next few days playing"Weakest link", and It can be a long and dull schedule. It is usualy followed by the equally exciting game of "Find the new pulleys", followed by the rivetting "Find a key that fits the keyway". I have had hours of fun in my life with these games, and they always end in tears and long drives to the factors. Gedda chain.Save the pain.

bought a couple of links today,going to fit tomorrow.fingers crossed

Advertisement