Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any advice on this leak...

Options
  • 19-04-2010 9:37pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I jacked up my Vivaro today to do a job on the brakes and I discovered I have a leak. I think it's power steering fluid but I don't know what's caused the leak. The rubber boot on the track rod looks passed it's best but I'm guessing the leak has more to do with a damaged seal.
    Any advice on whether I can fix this myself or if it's a job for the dealership would be much appreciated.

DSC00607_Medium.jpg

DSC00608_Medium.jpg

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

It does look very wet alright.

Put your finger inside the rubber boot and check for oil. Power steering oil should be red in colour and has a distinctive smell. You can check it against the oil in the PS reservoir.

If it is inside the boot it is probably the seal in the end of the rack and that is not really something you should change yourself.

To confirm it is leaking from the rack clean all around it with some rags or paper towels and get some one to rock the steering at full lock with the engine running. This should put it under pressure and if it is going to leak it will do so then.

Price around for a recon rack or failing that get a second hand one. I have tested a lot of these and don't remember seeing too many with leaky racks. There is bound to be loads of them scrapped by now.

Not too sure how big a job it is to change the rack but knowing these yokes it might mean dropping the subframe.

Of course it may be one the PS pipes that is leaking, you will need to check that too!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Thanks for the reply Slidey but feck it anyway. This is the last thing I need.:(

Am I okay to keep driving in the short term?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Plow ahead, just keep an eye on the oil level in the PS reservoir

The thing with that stuff is that a tiny drop makes a wild mess so it probably looks worse than it is.

Have you had to top it up yet?

Do check the pipes and that also. Put it on a full lock with the engine running and get someone to hold it there.

Yeah, I'll clean it up and test it as you describe.
    I checked the resevoir and it seems okay.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I've been in touch with the dealership and if it's a seal gone then I could be looking at a bill of €1500+ for a new rack. Any suggestions on where to pick up a second hand rack?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

I would imagine any decent breakers will have one.

Try Traynors up the North if you are not having much luck

Give driveshaft services a ring, (01) 4501905, they now do steering racks and have a fast turn around with drive shafts

Was chattin to my mate that works in an Opel dealership, he said to that the sub frame does have to be dropped and that to change the anti-roll bar bushes (that means the complete bar as you cannot get them separately) when you have it down.

Advertisement