Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bowel Cancer Awareness Month

Options
  • 19-04-2010 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭

Irish%20Cancer%20Munster%20Rugby.jpg

Its almost as if they heard some of the discussions we've had here in the past regarding cancer, prevalence and its impact on men!

April is the Irish Cancer Society's Bowel Cancer Awareness Month.

Have a read lads, its good to be aware. While a lot of us will have dicky stomachs/guts through the food we eat, the beer we drink or the Marlboros we smoke, bowel cancer has some very different and definite symptoms. Don't fcuk about with this one. Whatever about specific Men's Cancers, this one will kill you in a pretty ****ty way.
    Bowel Cancer Warning Signs

Warning signs for bowel cancer include

* Change in bowel habits lasting more than a month
    * Bleeding from the back passage
    * Regular feeling of trapped wind or fullness in the stomach area
    * Feeling as though there is something left to pass even after bowel movement
    * Pain or discomfort in stomach area or back passage
    * Weight loss for no apparent reason
    * Ongoing tiredness or weakness

Bowel Cancer Risk Factors

* Having a family history of bowel cancer
    * Having a family history of polyps (abnormal growths of tissue in the lining of the bowel)
    * Having a diet which is high in fat and low in fruit, vegetables and fibre
    * Lack of physical activity
    * Obesity
    * Alcohol
    * Smoking

Theres lots more info here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

THanks Dr G - it sounds like the Spanish Inquisition.

How prevalent is it in guys.

It sort of makes me think that we need a Top 10 of killer conditions for tGC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Yeah, I think that's a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

1) cheeky bastarditis

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

A very close friend of mine died from that, he was only 40. Please do get yourself checked out if you experience any of the symptoms as it can be treated if caught early. My husband has crohns and has to be checked for it on a regular basis.

Advertisement