Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

more water (in the words of Jack)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Moving to T&M, this is their kinda thing!

Gah! :eek: You should really stick to good-quality distilled water with a bit of additive to give colour and algae-proofing. Those goopy fluids typically have lower thermal conduction and higher electrical conduction than distilled and have a tendency to clog joints and blocks with sediment!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

so distilled water with antifreeze will do or what is this algae-proofing liquid you speak of :) (Again, I assume I don't need to remove the current liquid)?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

and keeping all the metal surfaces that touch the water/coolant the same to avoid electrolysis

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

The whole point about using proper distilled water with minimal additives which are also as inert as possible is that not much can go wrong with it - its electrically non-conductive thus not dangerous to equipment in the event of epic fail (read: leaks) and incapable of electrolysis so fittings of different metals/alloys aren't going to corrode like crazy.

Of course, it can be prone to self-electrolysis (splitting), emitting hydrogen if exposed to high voltages, but that's quite a different issue altogether... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

In the end I got distilled water and went to pour water in. It didn't go in because it needed a funnel.

I then got the user manual and was reading it and it said to leave a 1.5cm gap between the water and the top... So in the end it was over full anyway, so I just left it :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement