Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Rathdown - "County Cycling Policy - Cultivating a Cycling Culture"

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

http://www.dlrcoco.ie/Roads/CyclingReview/Appendix7.pdf

"Against this background and as an input into the preparation by Dun
    Laoghaire Rathdown County Council of a Cycling Strategy for the county,
    which will cover the period up to 2016, the Council is seeking to appoint a
    suitably qualified consultant to undertake a review of current policies and
    practice of the Council in the promotion and development of cycling in the
    County"

Anyone want to volunteer?

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

I suppose this means more tampering with the roads to make them "more cycling and pedrestian friendly" like they have done with the Stradbrook Roundabout.
    It doesn't feel any safer to me now that I have to compete for space with cars and buses because they removed a lane and narrowed all the entrances and exits .

I read through a bit of it and it seems to be implying that, despite their best efforts (in their opinion, not mine), cycling is still becoming less friendly and more people are leaving it behind and they want someone to come on board to sort it out or at least tell them what they have to do/are doing wrong. Admittedly though they will pry hire someone with plenty of paper experience and none with cycling, all I hope is they hire someone who knows the rules and the problems, will cycle in the area on an almost daily basis and will therefore, IMHO, be more qualified to head such a task.

Fair play for trying but I can't help but feel it won't work unless they get someone as recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

It'd be good if they could find someone suitable. This is, after all, the Council with responsibility for the much-loved N11 cycle facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

As I read it, the Brief (Appendix 7) quoted above set the terms of reference for the County Cycling Policy that's currently out for consultation, i.e. the Council has already appointed the consultant, and this policy is the result of that 'review of current policies and practice of the Council '.

See point 7 - Submission of Proposal:

Consultants interested in undertaking this project will need to submit their

proposal to Ms. Anne Devine, Senior Engineer - Traffic Transportation
    Department, Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council, Traffic Section, Level
    2, County Hall, Marine Road, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin by
    [FONT=Arial,BoldItalic][FONT=Arial,BoldItalic]Friday 14 [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,BoldItalic][FONT=Arial,BoldItalic]th[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,BoldItalic][FONT=Arial,BoldItalic]March 2008.[/FONT][/FONT]

The consultant is Transport Initiatives, which also did the Review for DCC in 2006, has done work for the DoT, the DTO, the NTA, etc. In short, I think this would qualify as 'someone suitable'. ;)

• Advertisement

Doctor Bob wrote: »
    The consultant is Transport Initiatives, which also did the Review for DCC in 2006, has done work for the DoT, the DTO, the NTA, etc. In short, I think this would qualify as 'someone suitable'. ;)

I dunno, considering "someone suitable" pry designed most of Dublins cycle lanes, I'm not entirely confident in that respect, the previously mentioned N11, the Samuel Beckett bridge etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

CramCycle wrote: »
    I dunno, considering "someone suitable" pry designed most of Dublins cycle lanes, I'm not entirely confident in that respect, the previously mentioned N11, the Samuel Beckett bridge etc.

Well, fortunately we're in a position to form an opinion on the 'suitability' of Transport Initiatives as they have kindly furnished us with the results of the process begun in 2008, in the form of a Draft Cycle Strategy Policy for DLR. And DLRCC has even given us a forum via which to pass on our considered thoughts, in the form of public consultation. ;)

We don't have to wait- anyone for pudding?! :D

(That's pudding [in the metaphorical sense], not cake [in either the literal or the metaphorical sense], before anyone gets too excited...)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Any idea what is the source for their Accident data (minor/serious/fatal)? I don't normally report accidents (minor or serious) to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,335 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Limestone1 wrote: »
    I suppose this means more tampering with the roads to make them "more cycling and pedrestian friendly" like they have done with the Stradbrook Roundabout.
    It doesn't feel any safer to me now that I have to compete for space with cars and buses because they removed a lane and narrowed all the entrances and exits .
    Command the lane.

Motorists will willing (and obliviously) side swipe you, but it gets on their consciences if they run you over.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,335 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Any idea what is the source for their Accident data (minor/serious/fatal)? I don't normally report accidents (minor or serious) to anyone.

Garda accident report forms. A serious accident is one that requires hospitalisation, broken bone, etc.

• Advertisement

They should pry add in anecdotal reports as I presume the majority of accidents go unreported and are settled at the side of the road, or the guy drives off

Advertisement