Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Type and size of commuter bag?

Options
  • 19-04-2010 10:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

I've been carrying a 28L rucksack for the last half a year, and now want something smaller for the summer.

I was considering a 10L, but not sure if I can squeeze in a pair of jeans, t-shirt, lunchbox (Shoes stay in work).

What type and size of commuter bag do you use? Any recommendations?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Rack and panniers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

Commuting, not middle-aged touring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

Have a 25L deuter and a 35L lowe alpine, depending on the day and what I need to carry.

Much prefer the smaller deuter though, the low alpine is just one big compartment, total lack of pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

blorg wrote: »
    Rack and panniers.

+1

but I am middle aged, had to give up on a rucksack as it caused back problems especially when carrying my laptop as it was a bit too heavy. I find the pannier great and clothes get less wrinkled also no more sweaty back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

i bought these for communting and are great.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=13690

and you dont notice the weight on the rack either. and another plus no sweaty back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

nitrogen wrote: »
    I was considering a 10L, but not sure if I can squeeze in a pair of jeans, t-shirt, lunchbox (Shoes stay in work).

Depends on how much you eat...

I use a 10L Deuter rack bag which carries lunch, locks, gilet, tubes etc. I also use a single pannier to carry a week's worth of work clothes in on Mon, home on Fri.

You would fit rolled clothes, lunch and gilet in the 10L bag no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

cdaly_ wrote: »
    ...week's worth of work clothes...

Good idea. Maybe I can bring in a week's supply of lunches as well. No bag while commuting: bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

I'd concur with the recommendations for panniers, but do spend a bit of time picking the right ones. I rushed this bit of my cycle-to-work purchase, and I'm living to regret it. My panniers are very fiddly to get on/off (velcro and straps). Given my big feet, it is a battle to find a position for the panniers that doesn't rub off my heel at the front or the wheel at the back.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Commuting, not middle-aged touring.

Oh, fuch. I'm middle aged for the last few years. Feck. :p

Why can't Dublin have more err... middle-aged and touring cyclists? :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I've been carrying a 28L rucksack for the last half a year, and now want something smaller for the summer.

What type and size of commuter bag do you use? Any recommendations?

Thanks

How far are you commuting?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

get a pannier with a rigid frame and a spring loaded loop on the bottom

the loop hooks on the prong on the bottom of the carrier and you just clip the pannier on and off, no fiddling with velcro or stuff

you can make the loop from a piece of half inch wavin and bending the hook of a bungie cord which you use as the spring

add a shoulder strap and it's easy to carry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I'd concur with the recommendations for panniers, but do spend a bit of time picking the right ones. I rushed this bit of my cycle-to-work purchase, and I'm living to regret it. My panniers are very fiddly to get on/off (velcro and straps). Given my big feet, it is a battle to find a position for the panniers that doesn't rub off my heel at the front or the wheel at the back.

I changed my rack (on the MTB) for one that sits higher and further back to stop my feet clipping it.

I've since noticed you can get little little brackets at the bottom to do much the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

get a pannier with a rigid frame and a spring loaded loop on the bottom

the loop hooks on the prong on the bottom of the carrier and you just clip the pannier on and off, no fiddling with velcro or stuff

you can make the loop from a piece of half inch wavin and bending the hook of a bungie cord which you use as the spring

add a shoulder strap and it's easy to carry

Any chance you could share a photograph of this yoke?
    BostonB wrote: »
    I changed my rack (on the MTB) for one that sits higher and further back to stop my feet clipping it.

I've since noticed you can get little little brackets at the bottom to do much the same.

My rack is adjustable, and I have it as far back as possible. I was told that there was very little choice in racks for MTBs with disc brakes - is this right?

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

My rack is adjustable, and I have it as far back as possible. I was told that there was very little choice in racks for MTBs with disc brakes - is this right?
    These are apparently the dog's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

...My rack is adjustable, and I have it as far back as possible. I was told that there was very little choice in racks for MTBs with disc brakes - is this right?

No idea, sorry.

This is the one I got, but in Black. I think because of the extra rails, this rack allowed me to mount the pannier bag further back than the previous rack I had. I'm guessing, that the MTB rear frame is shorter than other bikes, which might be a factor.

http://www.cycleways.com/store/product/21268/Tortec-Expedition-Rack/

Edit... just found this description of it...

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/accessories/racks/product/expedition-rear-rack-16968
    The Tortec design is a double platform, pushing the panniers away from your heels and offering extra clearance for bikes with shorter chainstays, like many modern mounatin bikes

Advertisement