Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Companies who do Farm Insurance please

Options
  • 19-04-2010 8:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

FBD,
    Aviva,
    who else?

FBD upping premiums and reducing cover - time to shop around. Who do you know of that covers farm insurance?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

we changed from fbd to the other major company a few years ago and changed back to fbd last october hibernian where terrible at answering the phone and their office manner was crap, dont think anyone else is doing it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Quinn Direct do a farm policy as well. Could be worth a punt. I think they have 10% off for all new customers over the next 2 weeks.

do you think it would be wise to go with them in this uncertain time for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

whelan1 wrote: »
    do you think it would be wise to go with them in this uncertain time for them

I would go with them. The appointment of the administrator gives them a lot of stability. There is no danger of them not being able to pay a claim. They just had some dodgy internal dealings ie. They pumped a load of money into Anglo that they should have been investing into secure deposits in order to be keep their financial ratios stable. Don't think the government will let them go under seeing as they employ 6000 people and Quinn Health funds 20% of all medical treatments in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭DagneyTaggart

Spoke with Quinn and they do farm insurance.

Althought they have got a lot of bad press lately, it's a safer time to be with them than it was 3 months ago.

I'll keep that in mind when speaking with Aviva. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

Spoke with Quinn and they do farm insurance.

Althought they have got a lot of bad press lately, it's a safer time to be with them than it was 3 months ago.

I'll keep that in mind when speaking with Aviva. Thanks.

Claiming against a Quinn policy, is extremely difficult. They use absolutely every defence in the book to avoid paying out! Make it as difficult as possible until you throw in the towel.

Will keep that in mind BeeDI. Although having looked through the FBD policy they can't be too far behind: " Floods.. covered ...with the exception that the water comes from a natural or artifical watercourse.. " where else is it gonna come from? :confused: That's one thing I'm taking out this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

got my farm renewal the other day, gone up as usual..jeep insurance also due, gone up 200 euro with no claims..interestingly if you look up quinn website the farming section seems to be gone

fbd have tightened up alot re claims .... interesting that quinns farming bit has disappeared

FBD have reduced cover (more exemption clauses), reduced risk (by looking for electrical certs) and increase premium (by 15%) and we've had no claims. Not going to sit there and take that and you shouldn't either badger.

FBD posted profits of €28.1 million in 2009...

• Advertisement

used to have everything with fbd Dagney but have nothing with them these days, a few years back i noticed that their premiums just started going thru roof..will try them again this year but I belive they are the worst in the world to pay out anyway

let us know if you get talking to any one in quinn re farm insurance i would be very interested

When I rang them there was no option on the recorded message for farm insurance but when I got speaking to a human they said that they do it and that someone would get in touch with me about it soon so when I hear from them I'll let you know how it goes and how competitive they look compared to FBD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

AFAIK fbd are the only company that do employer's liability, there are a number of instances that public liability cover will not cover,

one instance ( maybe not a true senario) you find a couple of your cattle on the public road, you flag down a passing motorist and ask him to help you turn them back into the field, a bullock bolts and the person gets injured,

you asked the motorist he became your 'servant' P/L cover will not cover in this case

we left fbd because after 35 years we found the new manager turned out to be a utter b******* went to aviva but their approach to the customers was the worst i have even encountered was driving tractors on the road for nearly 3 months with no insurance discs, when i eventually got the farm policy and read the small print it was not what i put on the proposal form
    read their forestry policy for instance "growing timber is not covered" FFS in a 15 year old hard wood forestry

on renewal went to fbd in a another county and their service is second to none, rep spend 2 hours here on the farm discussed all options good HONEST advise .

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Red Sheds

I would have no problem placing a policy with Quinns either, whether they exist as Quinns in the future or not, as they have a strong policy book that will be attractive to other insurance companies to take over if it comes to that. Quinns have a name to defend all claims quite hard, but others are catching up.

My advice is to list out all your insurance policies on a page, what they are for, when they are due for renewal etc and go to a broker. Ask the broker to find you the best package for all these policies together. This can work sometimes to place all business with a broker or single company and get a bigger discount across them all. However not all companies do farm insurance so this might restrict you a bit on the farm side, but definately try it for other polciies, like motor, house, employers liability etc.

My experience with FBD was not so good for farm insurance so went with Aviva, and I dont think they are cheap.

got a quote from quinn this morning for farm..totally off the wall expensive! was surprised, thought they would be competitive at the moment

i got renewal for car from aviva for 780 euro , went on net on over 25.ie and the cheapest just for me on car was 499... went to fbd this morning and they said 690 ... i said whats the best you can do for open driving and i am getting it for 490;)

ya just got the farm quote from fbd now as well, nearly 600 euro cheaper than quinn!! between quinn, aviva and fbd there is some variation, you wonder is it just the luck of the draw who you get on the phone

you would be lucky to get anyone on the phone with hibernian:mad:

This isn't bodding too well by the sounds of things.

Discount is a must though.

Hope to speak with FBD, Quinn and Aviva this week and when I get quotes in I'll let you know how they faired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭johnstown

Received an FBD renewal quote last year. It had gone up about 10%. Got quotes through brokers, Quinn and Aviva. They came in cheaper.

Then went back to FBD and told them I had gotten better quotes and they lowered to match. Now they only matched based on them also factoring in a shareholder discount. Then used the IFA member voucher and this brought the renewal down another €75 as far as I remember so based on that it beat the other insurers. Without these we possibly would have changed insurer.

Our experience of dealing with FBD has always been good (service, claims etc). I think you will hear mixed reports about a lot of insurers.

Wanted to let people know how this is finishing up.

Originally saught quotes from: FBD, Quinn and Aviva.
    • FBD had insured us in the past but this year's quotes were up 15%-20%.
    • Quinn wouldn't quote me.
    • Aviva has come in with quite a competitive quote.
    FBD seemed to have got too greedy; Likely to move to Aviva as a result.

Wanted to let people know how this is finishing up.

Originally saught quotes from: FBD, Quinn and Aviva.
    • FBD had insured us in the past but this year's quotes were up 15%-20%.
    • Quinn wouldn't quote me.
    • Aviva has come in with quite a competitive quote.
    FBD seemed to have got too greedy; Likely to move to Aviva as a result.
    did you tell fbd you where getting quotes elsewhere , they might reduce quote in linre with aviva

I had a frank talk with them Whelan and let them know clearly what I was doing. Along with some revisions to building values they discounted their original quote by over 10%. Even at the new quote it looks like they could be more competitive as they have not yet beaten Aviva.

the main thing that i dont like about aviva is the customer service but in saying that its like getting blood out of a stone to get a claim off fbd at the min

speaking of farm insurance do ye insure yer bulls? and if so what kinda money
    FBD have quoted me their cheapest quote ever for farm insurance for this year, couldnt believe it actaully

you have to get a vet to inspect the bull first before they will insure it

Advertisement