Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3.5hp Petrol Mower at B&Q for €121

Options
  • 19-04-2010 12:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

I had a budget of €120 for an electric mower but I bought a 3.5hp petrol mower in B&Q Liffey Valley last weekend. It runs like a charm. Think a petrol mower usually costs €250 - €400 so this is a bargain in my book :-) It got through my back garden and it was like a jungle!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I bought one of their Mountfield petrol mowers a couple of years ago for 280 euro and I've spent about the same amount getting it repaired, that's when I could get parts that is. B&Q don't do aftersales service and the "guarantee" that comes with the mower has proven to be utterly useless in my case. Now saving up to buy something more reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I bought one of these last year, I presume it's the own brand one in the white box, as a stop gap but it has proven to be quite a good performer. I think I paid just over €100, being an old duffer and all that. I know people who will happily give that to the local pub on a weekend, it's all about perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

I bought one of their Mountfield petrol mowers a couple of years ago for 280 euro and I've spent about the same amount getting it repaired, that's when I could get parts that is. B&Q don't do aftersales service and the "guarantee" that comes with the mower has proven to be utterly useless in my case. Now saving up to buy something more reliable.

+1

Had two Mountfield petrol mowers. 1st one went on fire when using it the first time, put that down to bad mower. Replacement one worked till just after its warranty period and died. Tried to get it repaired with great difficulty. In the end I went back to the electrical mower.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

Damn, that's no good. My Partner mower with a Briggs & Stratton engine has run for 10 years and (apart for me hitting a large rock, which necessitated a new part) has only needed an oil change & new sparkplug every second year, until now when it kinda needs a new spring (but is working OK with the old one...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

Mine is even more abused I'm afraid, ours is 13 years old, we inherited it with the house 7 years ago and have only ever put petrol in it, no oil, spark plugs or anything, its got a Honda engine and now I'm feeling guilty for not looking after it better, but it starts first time and works perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Briggs and stratton and the Honda are the best engine. Personally I think a 3.5 HP engine is a tad light.

The Briggs and Stratton engines aren't the problem, it's the mountfield mower that's a pile of crap. I've had all four plastic wheels break off. The pulley guard under the cutting deck came loose and was chopped to bits by the blade. The handle broke through metal fatigue after just 13 months. The carburetteur had to have a rubber seal replaced. The choke doesn't work anymore. The drive cables snapped. The starter pulley broke etc etc etc. Now I always clean and maintain my gear to keep it in excellent repair but the B&Q Mountfield mowers are absolute rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

The Briggs and Stratton engines aren't the problem, it's the mountfield mower that's a pile of crap. I've had all four plastic wheels break off. The pulley guard under the cutting deck came loose and was chopped to bits by the blade. The handle broke through metal fatigue after just 13 months. The carburetteur had to have a rubber seal replaced. The choke doesn't work anymore. The drive cables snapped. The starter pulley broke etc etc etc. Now I always clean and maintain my gear to keep it in excellent repair but the B&Q Mountfield mowers are absolute rubbish.

Looks like I had a lucky escape was looking at this one but ended up getting a Briggs and stratton in homebase - there was quite a bit of smoke the second time I used it but fine then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Whats a good mower?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

BostonB wrote: »
    Whats a good mower?

A sheep ;)

Castlegarden seem to be a good quality, but its the case the more you spend the better it is.
    Honda also are a good brand. If there is a bit of weight in the body of it you will know it should be decent, not some tinee body and wheels.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Tried the sheep, was't very good, but was tasty.

I was told to look for an alloy deck. Rover lawnmovers were recommended to me, but are a bit pricey. I've no experience of the them or this shop.

http://www.jimhanleyfarmmachinery.ie/category/55.aspx?page_id=18

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

I got an ex rental harry around 8 years ago, I'd imagine it was around 5 years old when I got it. It's still flying and all it cost was 60 punt now thats a bargain!

+1 for Castlegarden and Honda mowers. I'm saving up the pennies for a Castlegarden but it'll take a while as they don't come cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Would agree with Yop and Prosperous Dave on the Castlegarden and Honda probably being the top notch. My aunt has a Castlegarden which has being around a long time at this stage and still going mighty strong and leaves a good cut. As for Honda if their cars or bikes are anything to go by you can't go too far wrong. But boy do you pay for them. No doubt if you are pretty flush and/or well into your gardening they are a good investment. Having said that generally if you buy cheap you do buy twice. Have saw some plastic bodied crap in Homebase, Atlantic Homecare et al which I'd avoid like the plague.

If anyone happens to be in the Limerick direction I was in CastleMungret business park (across the road from cement factory) a few days back . Popped into a lawnmower supplies centre purely to get directions. He seemed like the sort of guy that wouldn't sell any crap and I did see a B&S engined mower with a metal deck for 140 quid at the door. He seemed to have a very broad range of Honda push mowers for up to 1,000 and more also and also a wide range of ride on mowers. Its just the mowers he had priced at 140 a piece struck me as being good value from the brief look I had at them. Am absolutely no way affeliated with the guy, purely popped into his premises for directions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Have a Harry with a briggs and stratton that must have cut thousands of acres at this stage. Had to replace the throttle cable but the mower has gotten a lot abuse ;)

+1 for Honda as well.

I think you would be better off added a bit and trying to get an entry level or second hand honda or harry. The ones in B & Q look very flimsy to me and I have seen one or two being returned while I was in there.

Advertisement