Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problems with new shrubs

Options
  • 18-04-2010 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

my shrubs were planted in march and i noticed recently that they have what look like little bite marks on them and holes what could this be i haven't seen insects on them and i water them every day i used tomato feed a couple of times can this damage plants if too much is used my friend mentioned it could be poisonous bark can anyone help

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

have you done anything to stop slugs?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 sinom

i could be wrong but i didnt think slugs were around this time of year

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

not sure, they are just my first suspect when you mention bite marks on plants

• Registered Users Posts: 28,281 ✭✭✭✭looksee

This is just a suggestion as I can't think of what would be eating plants this early. Did you water them in bright sunshine, is there any chance that the holes could be water damage? If they are soft thin leaves its a kind of outside possibility.

Otherwise try the old traditional dish of beer to trap the slugs, if thats what is causing the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Slugs are out at this time of year. They're a bit slender looking but it hasn't effected their eating capability. Can you see any snail trails around the plants?

• Advertisement
Advertisement