Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can i reuse kodak tmax dev?

Options
  • 18-04-2010 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

hi guys, just wondering if anyone knows whether i can reuse tmax developer when processing film? im mixing it at a 1 x 4 ratio at 20 degrees and it seems to be a bit of a waste if i have to use it and then get rid of it? im processing rolls of hp5 ilford shot at 400 iso.
    thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

You can.. but each successive "recycle" will result in worse results than the last until after probably just a few, you'll get nothing worth using.

I would not recommend it.

I'd also be using a different developer with HP5.. I used to use Kodak D76 developer with HP5 and Ilford's Delta lines (I prefer the grain structure of the Delta series as well... love the 400.) I only tended to use T-Max developer with T-Max films.
    hi guys, just wondering if anyone knows whether i can reuse tmax developer when processing film? im mixing it at a 1 x 4 ratio at 20 degrees and it seems to be a bit of a waste if i have to use it and then get rid of it? im processing rolls of hp5 ilford shot at 400 iso.
    thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Here's something to think about though.. try and google for some articles on replenishment rates for T-Max developer.

If you take some.. use it.. then you drain of a particular percentage and replace that with freshly-diluted "new" developer.. you would have to figure out what percent of the solution you need to drain for the replenishment to work right. (difficult to get accurate results without a good densitometer.. but to get results you find satisfactory is a different story.)

I know on commercial RA-4 and C-41 development equipment, the solution is essentially constantly replenished as film goes through.. and the replenishment amount should be higher after developing a 36-exposure roll than after a 24.. or for 2 rolls instead of 1.. 4 rolls instead of 2 etc..

Take a look around.. you might find some really good information on this. =D

I'm glad I re-read my reply, or this wouldn't have come to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

From Kodak:
    www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/support/techPubs/j86/j86.pdf
    kodak wrote:
    Time Compensation
    To process the maximum number of rolls of film per gallon
    of T-MAX Developer, use time compensation according to
    the table below. Discard the developer after you process
    48 rolls of film.
    If you use this developer for push processing, discard it
    after processing one batch of film. The capacity of the
    solution will be lower, and it should not be reused.
    STORAGE
    You can store working-strength solution in a full, tightly
    closed bottle for six months, in half-filled bottle for two
    months, or in a covered tank for one month. You can store the concentrate for up to two years.

Time Compensation
    136-36 or 120 1 to 16 Use normal development time
    17 to 32 Normal development time + 1 minute
    33 to 48 Normal development time + 2 minutes

Generally the kodak/ilford/fuji tech pubs are good places to find whatever info you need for films or developers or whatever.
    Heebie wrote:
    I know on commercial RA-4 and C-41 development equipment, the solution is essentially constantly replenished as film goes through.. and the replenishment amount should be higher after developing a 36-exposure roll than after a 24.. or for 2 rolls instead of 1.. 4 rolls instead of 2 etc..

This is certainly true for labs and pro places that want absolute consistency roll on roll. I've mixed up whatever amount of C-41 dev I've wanted to use before and just re-used it for a couple of weeks and discarded it and gotten acceptable results. C-41 films can take a good deal of punishment before giving up the ghost :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

I've used Tmax and had no drop off in quality with re-using it, Just follow the guidelines that are linked above about increasing time.

I've squeezed 32 rolls off no problem... I change then because I prefer to be paranoid. I have moved away from TMax and these days nearly always use XTOL and the stock stays fresh for 6 months.. I use it as at 1:1 mix on a 'one shot' basis. No problems to report with it either, although I've never had it that long as it get's used up before the 6 months have passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Simplicius wrote: »
    I have moved away from TMax and these days nearly always use XTOL and the stock stays fresh for 6 months.. I use it as at 1:1 mix on a 'one shot' basis. No problems to report with it either, although I've never had it that long as it get's used up before the 6 months have passed.

Hmm. Despite wanting to try it I've been wary of XTOL because I thought it had really bad keeping times. I've been bitten before by Ilfosol suddenly going bad, and XTOL is another ascorbic acid developer. I might get some now and give it a go. I've seen some nice looking results using it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

after 4 months old, I will start doing a test of a film clipping, prior to committing to developing rolls. I keep the stock in a dark cupboard in empty screw top wine bottles and also seal around top externall with clingfilm and electricians tape. I use a standard plastic 'volvic' bottle for the stock that doesn't completely fill a glass bottle and squeeze this and use cling film under the cap as well as over to keep it airtight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Forgive my laziness... I can probably just google this... but what is the total volume of developer that you get from a batch of XTOL?

Is it 5 litres total to then be used (standard) as a 1:1 mix?

Cheers

Advertisement