Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Patio Heater Ban

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Well, they're still available. How widely so, I'm not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

They have them in Lidl Balbriggan at the moment.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

The article refers to the "phasing out" of them. So it could be a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

No reason not to have 100+ kW of patio heating providing you use renewable energy (and can pay the bill).....

Impose a "€10,000 tax" on fossil fuelled patio heaters perhaps, on the grounds that there is a limited amount of fossil fuel around, and future generations will need it for various things eg as a raw material for important chemicals. Rather than banning them, as might happen in some fascist country.

Otherwise the country will end up being a communist bureaucratic undemocratic state where one has to "toe the party line" on everything, or else.....

IRL might end up being like the EU dictatorship!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Would this type of heater be better overall alternative ?

Usually they have a thick shell which would hold the heat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Shiny wrote: »
    Would this type of heater be better overall alternative ?

Usually they have a thick shell which would hold the heat.

When our patio heater packs it in, we plan to get one of them. Just a bit worried about the fact of having to clean it out next day might put use off using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

As I passed by a major hotel on the Grand Canal this evening, I was shocked to see 2 gas burning patio heaters mounted either side of the front door. The patios either side were uncovered and it's a cold wet evening so nobody sitting outside. Yet 2 heaters burning away.
    It's this sort of madness we have to put an end to.
    I Googled "patio heating ban" and pretty much all of the results, including this thread, were from 2010 or earlier. Whatever happened to the ban?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,155 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

As I passed by a major hotel on the Grand Canal this evening, I was shocked to see 2 gas burning patio heaters mounted either side of the front door. The patios either side were uncovered and it's a cold wet evening so nobody sitting outside. Yet 2 heaters burning away.
    I Googled "patio heating ban" and pretty much all of the results, including this thread, were from 2010 or earlier. Whatever happened to the ban?

Saw them for sale last summer, so they mustn't be banned.

In anticipation of the ban, electric patio heaters were on sale.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

blanch152 wrote: »
    Saw them for sale last summer, so they mustn't be banned.
    well, there are a few things that are effectively illegal to operate but not to sell (e.g. electric scooters), so it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that patio heaters could fall into that category.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

well, there are a few things that are effectively illegal to operate but not to sell (e.g. electric scooters), so it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that patio heaters could fall into that category.
    Halfords have rows of blue headlight bulbs for "off-road" :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Calor have renewable gas cylinder (BioLPG) for patio heaters.

Yeah but even if they aren't illegal, wouldn't you think that people would apply some common sense in relation to their usage?
    Like if it's pi$$ing rain and windy outside, don't turn them on because no one will benefit from their use?
    A major hotel group should show some responsibility if not leadership in reducing environmental impact too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,237 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Blame the smoking ban. They have to provide some where warm for guests to smoke

ted1 wrote: »
    Blame the smoking ban. They have to provide some where warm for guests to smoke

Not getting into the smoking debate but where the hotel had these gas heaters would not provide any warmth. I think they provide more visual warmth than physical warmth.

Advertisement