Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2005ish pajero 3.2 SWB

Options
  • 18-04-2010 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭

well i'm probably going to pick one of these up in the next week.

this is a first venture into 4x4 territory for me. is there a lot to watch for on them ? anything in particular that they are known for ? a few different people have said to me that they go kaboom at 100k miles !! so i'm looking at ones around the 50 or 60k mark.

Thanks.

(i also have a post in the general motors forum asking for recommendations to an alternative to a pajero - but i'm 90% going to pick up a pajero very shortly).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 blarneyone

couple of words, dual mass flywheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,446 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

make sure it has a service history and that the clutch and flywheel are intact. make sure the 4WD and difflock work as they should and get a proper warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

Flywheel is the main one and costs big bucks. I'm told the automatic models do not suffer from this malady. If you ever carry anything in the back, go for a LWB. The SWB has a tiny loadspace. If I was buying again, I'd be going for a LWB Auto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 horsemad23

Venturing into 4x4 territory myself soon, Im a little scared Im going to end up car-less and very broke, they seem expensive business. Ive been told to avoid the 2.5 pajero but only been given the explaination that its slow but it seems to do better mpg than a 2.8 or bigger, Can anyone shed any light on why the 2.5 is a no go?
    Have to say the pajeros are fab looking, nice choice ;)
    Although I get annoyed with yummy mummies driving them, maybe its just jealousy. I think a 4x4 should be dirty or have a tow bar haha

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭cppromotions

Have a 99 2.5 td swb comm Pajero i want to change the reverse light switch, does aybody know where on the gearbox this is located

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,446 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

on the old type Pajero you had the choice of 2.5 or 2.8. 2.8 is the one to go for here

on the newer ones they updated the 2.5 and added a 3.2 with direct injection, again the bigger engine is better on fuel as you don't have to rag it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

thanks for the advice - haven't been on here in a while.

i picked up a subaru forester in the end, i did a sort of cost analysis of MPG v commercial tax and the (small enough) mileage I'd do still makes it better for me to pay the higher tax and save on MPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭roryq69

Been lookin at buyin a 4x4 in the near future but need to get my car sold to finance it! Been offered a 04 shogun commercial that has had a 06 engine and gearbox fitted last year. Its a bit rough on the outside but its immaculate on the inside. old man had it from new. Is there anything in particular i should be lookin for. Its costing me 7k! Sounds like a great bargain but i'm a bit worried its too good?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

roryq69 wrote: »
    Been lookin at buyin a 4x4 in the near future but need to get my car sold to finance it! Been offered a 04 shogun commercial that has had a 06 engine and gearbox fitted last year. Its a bit rough on the outside but its immaculate on the inside. old man had it from new. Is there anything in particular i should be lookin for. Its costing me 7k! Sounds like a great bargain but i'm a bit worried its too good?

is it the old or new version

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭roryq69

Its the new model! 04 body with an engine and gearbox from an 06!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 leem6

Sounds like a bargain rory, i'm in the market something along those lines myself 2003+ 3.2 swb pajero, would like to stay below the 8k mark if possible Any suggestions where I might find value?

Advertisement