Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nicknames

Options
  • 18-04-2010 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, how many of you actually nickname your Pokémon? I've never done this before, I've no idea why, just never bothered really I guess. Do ye name your Pokémon? What kinda names? Why? :)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Nope, I never nickname my 'mon. I just choose not to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I very occasionally name them. I named my shiny HO-OH as "OH-OH!!!" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I've started naming them since I restarted on Diamond version. Of course I deliberately go with names that sound really stupid or inappropriate because I'm childish.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭shofukan

I name the unown's according to what letter they are..
    Yes, I'm that sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I usually name them, but I have two different naming schemes based on the language of the game.

In the Japanese versions, I'm limited to five characters so I name them something memorable so I can quickly tell which is which without needing to see the sprites.

In English though, I just go for something funny and witty that I can fit in ten characters (which is bloody hard...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I always name them except when SRing at the start for a shiney or a good nature. And I always name the final candidate when I get a chance.

What's the point in having an Onix called Onix? Unless you're a big fan of Judgement Night...

Nameswise, I usually go with something ever so vaguely relevant to the 'Mon in question. Unless I'm breeding them, in which case the first one from the generation will be named after whatever I'm watching on telly or listening to, and the rest of them will follow suit. And some names are traditional - my first Squirtle is always called Deano ('cause that was my first 'mon in Blue) and my first grass pokemon is always called Robert (cause they're plants, geddit?)

Oh, I do that with the Unowns too, Seanor3 :) (Although reading my paragraph above, that probably doesn't make you feel any less geeky). Do you name them A,B,C... or something like Alan, Balthazaar, Clegg... ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

I go through phases. Right now I name them after Greek Titans, relating to what kind of Pokemon they are. Example, my Infernape is Prometheus, because of the Fire connotation. My Luxray is Hyperion, for the sight thing in his Pokédex entry... And so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭shofukan

Banjo wrote: »
    Oh, I do that with the Unowns too, Seanor3 :) (Although reading my paragraph above, that probably doesn't make you feel any less geeky). Do you name them A,B,C... or something like Alan, Balthazaar, Clegg... ?
    I was only just bothered to do the whole unown thing earlier so I just named them letters, but I think I'll go with the phonetic alphabet. 'Cause I'm that cool. :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

TheChrisD wrote: »
    In English though, I just go for something funny and witty that I can fit in ten characters (which is bloody hard...)
    Just be thankful it's not like a bowling alley with it's 3 characters.. After poo and ass, we don't have much left :(

I never really nicknamed them cause I just never saw the point of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Our friend DIK used to bowl with us :D

(Or at least someone else changed his name to DIK halfway through...)

Was going round today collecting legendary birds, and I named them Sparky, Frozor and Scorch :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Buzzthebatgirl

If I'm SRing/breeding for nature/IV combination, like Banjo, I only nickname the final candidate. If I'm in the mood for a random hunting/breeding spree, I'd usually have the TV or radio on in the background and name the latest catch after something or some name that I hear.

There are a few nicknames I stick with Void for a Mewtwo (named after Void from Sonic Shuffle), Rouge for a female Crobat, there's always at least one Sandshrew named Sonic, Bubbles the Wartortle, Locke or Locke-(some letter) for Treecko, Daaah for Buneary/Lopunny.

I rarely name Pokémon after people, but a few exceptions include Nigel the Pichu (named after Nigel Kitching) and Sarah M the Machamp (named after my niece).

I can often come with with nicknames that are odd discriptions, like VeryBig the Tropius, Drayk the Dialgia (means Dragon), Ryuunosuke the Palkia (means "forerunner dragon", he's an opening sweeper in Ubers) and Dark-Fang the (now infamous) shiny Seviper (her fangs looked dark on my GBA).

I love coming up with fun nicknames but I've not been hit with any great naming ideas recently, I think KangaMamma was my last good nickname (no prizes for guessing what that was)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭spookymuffin

I always give my team nicknames and that's pretty much it. I might give a name to the odd piece of box-fodder if I'm struck with inspiration when I catch them but otherwise they are left with their species name.

I can't have a pokemon on my team that doesn't have a name, it just feels too... impersonal. I have a lot of pets in real life and the ones that don't have names (about 80% of my fish) end up feeling less important to me than the one's that have.
    When you give a name to something without much personality, be it an inanimate object or relatively simple animal, you give it a little bit of personality along with the name. I don't think I would enjoy pokemon as much if I couldn't give them that little spark of personality that lifts them (slightly) above being just data to me.

I will sometimes go for a naming theme. At the moment my Eevee team are all named for plants: Dandelion (Jolteon), Rosie (Flareon), Lavender (Espeon), Nightshade (Umbreon), Anubias (Vaporeon. Anubias is a type of aquatic plant), Snowdrop (Glaceon), and Onion (Leafeon. Seriously look at it's backsprite, it's head looks like an onion!).
    I also had a team based on the latin names of animals the pokemon were based off. Like a Mothim that was called Lepi after the Lepidoptera and a Vespiqueen called Apis.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I just nickname them their final form using correct spelling. I hate seeing "Rob sent out NINETAILS." I much prefer "Rob sent out Ninetails." It's more pleasing to the eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

Started naming me 'mon since starting Soulsilver. Only the ones I actually want in my team though, so not bothered naming HM Slaves(which are unfortunatly necessary atm, but that's another issue.). So far I've got Soap the Feraligator, named after Soap MacTavish from Call of Duty, also, water pokemon, so it suits? Bling my shiny Pidgeotto. Swore I wasn't gonna bother training a Pidgey this game but stumbled across a Shiny one, it was like a sign :) The Blade my Scyther. Couldn't think of anything else really, it fits!

Advertisement