Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One Year WHV - How much did you save up?

Options
  • 18-04-2010 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi all!

I'm off to Oz in late July/early August and i'm in the process of saving as much money as possible! I'm just looking to hear from others on how much they saved, or how much they plan to save before going!

Also, if you have already been to Australia, how much did you save and how did it go for you? Good/bad/wished you'd saved more etc..

Personally i'm hoping to have about 6/7k in the bank when I leave (not including flight and visa costs)! I'm pretty sorted for accommodation for the first month or two as i'm heading over with a mate and we're kipping in his uncles place until we find our own! As for making money over there, his uncle is the CEO of a company so we're pretty sorted (hopefully) for jobs too!

Cheers!:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I had about $7,500.
    That lasted me 6 weeks in a campervan, inc $1500 for the camper rental/caravan park fees.
    if you have $7k you should be grand, especially with ur accomodation sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

i decided i was gonna go to oz 3 weeks before i left. and had 2 grand saved myself, (paid E570 for a one way flight to sydney out of this) and then got gifts from family of about another E1000
    so had E2,500 going over

I had somewhere to live set up, (moved in with friends) and a job organised so found this was plenty - for the initial buying things to set yourself up, sight seeing, eating out, drinking that u do at the start.

If you plan on getting a job asap then you could survive with alot less than i had. I'd say i spent about E1000, and kept the other E1,500 in my irish account (this was a saviour when myself and my bf moved into an apartment on our own and needed almost $4,000 in bond and advance rent)

Depends what you're after, how much travelling your doing on the way here.......... I'd defo advise starting work as soon as you can, so you don't go through your savings - what you have coming in will pay your week to week expenses - rent/hostel, bus/train, food etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Just so everyone is aware the Australian Governments requirements are:
    Financial requirements
    You must have access to sufficient funds to support yourself for the initial stage of your holiday. Generally, AUD$5000 may be regarded as sufficient, but the amount may vary depending on your length of stay and the extent of your travel. You should also have a return or onward ticket or the funds for a fare to depart Australia.
    You may be asked to provide evidence. Evidence may include a certified copy of a bank statement and an air ticket out of Australia.

$5000 = €3421

So you should be able to prove that you have a Min of €3421 and also a ticket or the means to get out of Australia once your time here is over.
    If you do not have this amount in your account then they could refuse you entry into Australia.

I don’t think I had the minimum requirement when I first came into the country but luckily I was not stopped or asked any questions on the way in other then my passport being checked. It is a risk that I would not take again.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭WopTittyPop

Thanks for the replies!
    Doc wrote: »
    So you should be able to prove that you have a Min of €3421 and also a ticket or the means to get out of Australia once your time here is over.

I've heard of this too, and the Australia WHV "requires" you to have €2,800 in your account, but from everyone i've talked to that's been there before or is over there now, they never check! My brother is over there at the moment and said he's never heard of anyone's funds being checked out either! It sounds like it's more advice to have €2,800 in the bank, rather than a requirement!
    amybabes wrote: »
    Depends what you're after, how much travelling your doing on the way here.......... I'd defo advise starting work as soon as you can, so you don't go through your savings - what you have coming in will pay your week to week expenses - rent/hostel, bus/train, food etc.

Thanks amybabes! Yeah we're going to spend our first month just doing a bit of sight-seeing/getting to know the area, and then we're gonna look at jobs!

Keep the replies coming, I wanna hear some bad experiences too :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

landed at 3AM on saturday in Perth, had $17 in change after the beuro de change and 2 Credit Cards, Bust to the CBH and wait til monday:D:D happy days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

but from everyone i've talked to that's been there before or is over there now, they never check!
    They said that about the Farm work for the 2nd WHV :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The more you have the better. It costs a lot to get set up here, between rent, bonds, buying house stuff..etc. Add in a few drinks and bit of partying in the first few weeks and the money burns v quickly. Also if you want to travel around you need to have plenty of cash saved up. Otherwise you will simply spend your time working all week and going on the piss Saturday night. You won't get the chance to see or do things. It depends on what you want to do here though.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    They said that about the Farm work for the 2nd WHV :D

Yeah my girlfriends brother is in Melbourne at the moment on a farm, and you're supposed to do 3 months in order to qualify for the 2nd year WHV but he said the farmer he's working for signed him off after 6 weeks! Pretty sweet! Guess you just have to have luck in finding a sound enough farmer!

Otherwise you will simply spend your time working all week and going on the piss Saturday night. You won't get the chance to see or do things. It depends on what you want to do here though.

Yeah we were planning on working straight full time for like 3/4 months after like the first month of arrival and saving all the money up to use for traveling after so hopefully that will work out for us! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

We were offered voluntary redundancy in work, they said it would be generous depending of course how long you were with them, i had 3.4 years under my belt, enquired how much, just over 15k:eek: nice one, registered online for the whv,accepted within 2 days i think, arranged around the worl ticket th next day, flew into Bangkok about 2 weeks later:) savage, OZ is overrated though, Asia is just so much better and a whole lot more interesting:) Was a bit fortunate though, i left phi phi 3 days before the Tsunami:eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement