Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Happens If I Register With Revenue....?

Options
  • 18-04-2010 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭

Hi there, I am in a quandry.

My business plan is almost complete and I am about to send off the application.

However, I must register with revenue as self-employed before the application is taken up.

However, in order to get the Back To Work Allowance, I need to be on JSA for 12 months before hand.

If I register as "Self Employed"....could I disqualify myself from the JSA, thus in turn disqualifying myself from the BTWA?

Thanks for your time and help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

It's the Irish civil service - there is very little link up with the IT systems between Revenue and Welfare. They won't know about your registering as self-employed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Hi there, I am in a quandry.

My business plan is almost complete and I am about to send off the application.

However, I must register with revenue as self-employed before the application is taken up.

However, in order to get the Back To Work Allowance, I need to be on JSA for 12 months before hand.

If I register as "Self Employed"....could I disqualify myself from the JSA, thus in turn disqualifying myself from the BTWA?

Thanks for your time and help.

How long have you been on JSA for?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Try to find out who is your community enterprise officer or something simliar.

I went to the one in the Galway City Partnership - she was beyond helpful and told me exactly in which order to get everything sorted out. I did register with the Revenue a couple months before being 12 months on JSA - but because I had the enterprise officer in my corner she would have told the SW what was up had they gotten onto me.

She also got me into a Start Your Own Business course before my 12 months were up - just to make sure my application would be approved when the time came.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Sparky J

Nolanger wrote: »
    It's the Irish civil service - there is very little link up with the IT systems between Revenue and Welfare. They won't know about your registering as self-employed.

In the TR1 tax registeration form you must put in your PPS number so wouldn't that not POP up on their systems then no?

I know it wouldn't be an issue for the OP as SW would see that they registered just prior to sending in the BTWEA application but if SW didn't know about it then people that are on JSA could effectively start trading 6 or 9 months before their 12 months unemployed is up and then go for the BTWEA after 12 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭I Drink It Up!

I have decided to fill out the Revenue forms but NOT send them in.

When I am called for interview, I will give THEM the completed form, and invite THEM to send it for me.

That way I wont register for tax until it suits them as oppose to me.

Thanks for the feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭I Drink It Up!

Is there any more information people can pass on to me? Thanks!!!

Advertisement