Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gods in Buddhism?

Options
  • 18-04-2010 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi there
    Tibet is a country I would love to visit one day and which I am reading a lot about. I noticed that even thought Buddhism doesn't really have anything to do with God or some sort like in other religions, the Tibetans yet seem to have a god for literally everything...how is that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Perhaps it is the influence of the Bon tradition or other similar local ancient religious belief system, this might explain a cultural/historically influenced belief in various gods while also being Buddhist..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%B6n

It may be similar to Japan, where the Buddhist and Shinto traditions co-exist.. A Japanese person explained it to me as that she would pray to Shinto gods for everyday things like finding a boyfriend, passing an exam etc but Buddhism would be to take care of the afterlife, honour her ancestors etc, what happens after you die.

Im sure someone will be better able to explain the Tibetan bit..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

Hi there
    Tibet is a country I would love to visit one day and which I am reading a lot about. I noticed that even thought Buddhism doesn't really have anything to do with God or some sort like in other religions, the Tibetans yet seem to have a god for literally everything...how is that?

When asked about God Buddha remained silent. This tends to be interpreted as it's irrelvant when compared to negating suffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Good breakdown on it here on Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_in_Buddhism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

In Tibetan Buddhism, in the Term God,

Ok ill break it down for you we have a thing called the Wheel Of Life,

at then end theirs Hell Realm, Ghost Realm, Animal Realm, Human Realm (which is Us), Titan Realm (God who were out Cast-ted), God Realm, Buddhahood(which is the main Goal in life)

We have the Buddha Nature in us all but it is up to us on how we train our mind to see inward.

As for Gods, Yes Buddhism see Gods but not a way others do, we are seen as all being a God, Not Everything Last, If we Die we are in the Bardo, we have a Choice in this Bardo if good in life move to Heaven, or if luck enough be Reborn as a Human once again,

We should pick being a human once again as after all in heaven you still end up dieing and being born as a human or worse a Animal.
    What you see on Tv and Pictures of Gold Statues and mass people around them Praying, they are not Praying or looking at this Statue as a God, but asking for help in this lost path of Life.

It has being told, that We shell See a New Buddha on this World but when we do not know, it will be when Buddhism is lost in the minds of people that the future buddha shell come down and teach us the way.

If taking or Studying buddhism, alot of people would have 3 main statues. one of the Buddha of Our time, one of Guru rinpoche and Vajrayana. the main 3 book to study over and over are 1. Words of my perfect Teacher 2. Tibetan book of the Dead, 3 Tibetan book of Living and Dying.

Ghost in Buddhism are to be said people who die and were scared of their Bardo, left wonder the World, Seeking Happiness but can not for-fill it.

hope this kind of give u an idea. plus Dalai lama if your Wondering how do they know if its the same mind from the last Dalai lama they do alot of test on the child, check it on youtube.

Advertisement