Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a bow... some questions

Options
  • 18-04-2010 4:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

I decided to open a new thread since this goes way off topic from the other one.

So Im strongly considering the Mathews Switchback XT from ASI. I think Im in love actually. But I just have a few questions.

http://www.archeryshop.ie/compound.html
    (its the last bow on the page)

Some people seem to be having tuning problems. But it seems its caused by "hand torque" and can be fixed by "bareshaft paper tuning". Now to be very honest alot of it is gibberish to me. So does this ring any bells with people. Am I buying something that is easily fixed or will I have to visit the-only-guy-in-the-country-that-can-do-it and be charged a fortune..

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/135775-anyone-having-switchback-xt-problems.html

After more reading and homework it seems that compound bows arent ready to be used over the counter. They need to be set-up in accordance with each individual and you cant really get a one size fits all. As you may already know from my last thread I have to travel a fair distance to get to this shop. So will I get there and be told to come back the next day because it has to be customised, or is it something that can be done in a few hours? And also, will this cost extra? ..if so how much? (just even a rough estimate)

For this bow, what accessories should I get.. stabilisers, sights, etc.... (after buying the bow, my budget will be down to about 250-300)

And lastly like I have already said, ASI seems to be in a really rural spot. So Im going to contact them and see would it be possible to meet up somwhere else in Wicklow thats a tad more accessible. Now failing that, if they wont do that, Im wondering about purchasing online and getting it posted. My main concerns are getting the right draw weight and what-not and also the initial customisation. I mean would any of you lot buy a bow through post for yourselves? Or is it kinda hit and miss.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Is this your first compound bow and what sort of level are you shooting at. If you are relatively new to compounds the Diamond Razor Edge set from altservices might be a good one. The draw weight and length are easily adjustable through a wide range, it is a 300+ fps IBO speed bow, it comes with some accessories and costs around 340 sterling + delivery. Seeing as you have hassle travelling to Irish shops for maintenance it might also be an idea to get a Bowmaster portable bow press so you can do a lot yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Panserborn

The Switchback is a great bow. And I'm a Hoyt shooter saying that :D

I've done a good bit of field shooting and I've seen archers quite literally throw switchbacks against trees (due to bad shooting on the archers side, not the quality of the bow) and just drop them in the dirt as they are collecting arrows - in spite of all this the bow shot great. One of the most rugged bows I've ever seen. To give an example, One of the top UK shooters is Chris White. He shot the Switchback for ages, in spite of having sponsorship to shoot better and more expensive bows.

In terms of tuning, generally, the bow is fine out of the box. You would check the poundage to ensure it is what you ordered, and the strings / cable might stretch a little over the first few weeks of shooting - but this is normal and we can all help you fiddle with the bow a little to show you what to watch out for and twiddle.

Longer term, we are always tuning using things like "paper tuning" and "walk back tuning". All paper tuning involves is essentially shooing an arrow through a sheet of paper and analysing the shape of the hole it leaves behind. This shows you what you need to do with your launcher to correct the shot. Very easy stuff. "Hand Torque" is simply the way you hold the bow and how the bow reacts in your hand. You get rid of this by training and coaching (the bare-shaft paper tune test will tell you IF you are torqueing your hand).

Bows like the Switchback does suffer a little from "Cam-Lean", but this is something all solocam bows do and its just something to look out for and is easily corrected when you know what you're looking for. An alternative to a solocam is a hybrid cam, like the cam-and-a-half from Hoyt. This has no Cam-lean, but does need an eye kept on the "timing". My point is that all the various technologies on compounds have their little nuances that need to have an eye on.

In all, the Switchback gets a big thumbs up from me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Damo123

Panserborn wrote: »
    The Switchback is a great bow. And I'm a Hoyt shooter saying that :D

I've done a good bit of field shooting and I've seen archers quite literally throw switchbacks against trees (due to bad shooting on the archers side, not the quality of the bow) and just drop them in the dirt as they are collecting arrows - in spite of all this the bow shot great. One of the most rugged bows I've ever seen. To give an example, One of the top UK shooters is Chris White. He shot the Switchback for ages, in spite of having sponsorship to shoot better and more expensive bows.

In terms of tuning, generally, the bow is fine out of the box. You would check the poundage to ensure it is what you ordered, and the strings / cable might stretch a little over the first few weeks of shooting - but this is normal and we can all help you fiddle with the bow a little to show you what to watch out for and twiddle.

Longer term, we are always tuning using things like "paper tuning" and "walk back tuning". All paper tuning involves is essentially shooing an arrow through a sheet of paper and analysing the shape of the hole it leaves behind. This shows you what you need to do with your launcher to correct the shot. Very easy stuff. "Hand Torque" is simply the way you hold the bow and how the bow reacts in your hand. You get rid of this by training and coaching (the bare-shaft paper tune test will tell you IF you are torqueing your hand).

Bows like the Switchback does suffer a little from "Cam-Lean", but this is something all solocam bows do and its just something to look out for and is easily corrected when you know what you're looking for. An alternative to a solocam is a hybrid cam, like the cam-and-a-half from Hoyt. This has no Cam-lean, but does need an eye kept on the "timing". My point is that all the various technologies on compounds have their little nuances that need to have an eye on.

In all, the Switchback gets a big thumbs up from me!

THanks for the advice. It must have you taken you a while to type all that out. Id love to be one of those archers you mentioned who can pay nearly 800 for a bow and then just throw at a tree. When I get one if anybody so much as looks at it funny there'll be hell to pay :L

@BrianD3- Thanks for the advice, but being really honest with you my heart is set on the switchback. But logically, I know I probably should go for what you suggested and forget the switchback... :(

And yep, its my first compound. What level am I shooting at...?? Emm well Im a backgarden shooter, (I have bout 6 acres of very private land to work with so no need for a club). First started shooting 2 years ago, but the first year was just with a crappy 50 euro beginner kit and I only shot the odd time. I started shooting seriously about a year ago when I forked out near 400 sterling and bought a recurve... But getting bored off the recurve now... hence the compound.

Damo123 wrote: »
    Id love to be one of those archers you mentioned who can pay nearly 800 for a bow and then just throw at a tree. When I get one if anybody so much as looks at it funny there'll be hell to pay :L

You'd be surprised what you're capable of when the red mist decents and the frustration kicks in! :p

Panserborn wrote: »
    You'd be surprised what you're capable of when the red mist decents and the frustration kicks in! :p

Ahh dont I know :L

Im just curious.... Im not attacking you here or anything so please dont get the wrong idea.. You give switchback such a great review but yet you shoot hoyt...???? What am I missing..?? :):)

• Advertisement

No worries

Always used Hoyt. In order to really get to grips with a bow I reckon you need to shoot it for at least 3-4 months. Unfortunatly, I don't know anyone willing to part with their Mathews that long to let me try it out, and since I can't afford to just keep buying bows to try out I got to stick with what I know - c'est Hoyt!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Any update on this, did you get the Switchback in the end? Do you intend to shoot with fingers or with a release aid?

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Any update on this, did you get the Switchback in the end? Do you intend to shoot with fingers or with a release aid?

Yep, got the switchback in the end. Very pleased with it. The draw lenght is about 2 inches short, but I knew this when I was buying it. It was an ebay job, and I got a really good deal so I dont mind the draw being a bit off. ANd lets face it, Im never going to be in the olympics or need to shoot a 1 cent coin at 100 yards so..... meh :)

Nearly forgot, the release aid. Well heres what came with it

http://www.archeryshop.com.au/p/853779/scott-longhorn-3-finger-aluminum-red.html

(THis vid might be NSFW)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1fvq4Idf4U&NR=1

Though Im not pushed on it. Wouldnt mind getting something else. Any recommendations?

Oh and Im thinking of getting a Whisker Biscuit (well whenever funds permit it.. Im not made of money :) )

http://www.trophyridge.com/arrow-rests/whisker-biscuit/

That looks like a hinge style release, might be difficult to control for a beginner at compound, especially if shooting outdoors in the wind. To start with (and even forever cause its class!) I'd recommend the Carter Target 3. Simple design and rock solid. Quite adjustable and will suit anybody from beginner to world champion.

For the launcher, I'd recommend the Trophey Taker 1. Again, simple, cheap and the world champs use it!

Advertisement