Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to pronounce these words (Modh Coinniollach)

Options
  • 18-04-2010 1:01pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Preparing for my Irish Oral next week. Could somebody kindly tell me how to pronounce the words in bold? Also could you tell me if the passage is grammatically correct (the spelling isn't that important as it is for the orals, but all constructive criticism is welcome).

mbéarfaí orm leis an bhfón ar scoil, thabharfaí an fón go dtí an príomhoide agus ní bhfaighfeá ar ais go ceann seachtaine.

I wrote it myself so I'm not sure if it's grammatically correct (I was also unsure about the negative of gheofá).

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Dá mbéarfaí (mare-fee)

Thabharfaí (hoor-fee)

Ní bhfaighfeá (why-haw; wee-haw)

Grammar is correct!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Thank you - that was a great help!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

The grammar is correct Timbuk, but what is it you want to say (in English)?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

dambarude wrote: »
    The grammar is correct Timbuk, but what is it you want to say (in English)?

What I'm trying to say is "If you are caught with your phone in school, the phone is given to the principal and you don't get it back for a week".

It's spot-on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Megatron_X

B'fhéidir gur botún cló é, ach ba cheart duit an céad 'orm' a athrú go 'ort'.

Megatron_X wrote: »
    B'fhéidir gur botún cló é, ach ba cheart duit an céad 'orm' a athrú go 'ort'.

Ní fhaca mé sin, tá súil ghéar agat!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Ach cén fáth an t-athrú sin, nach bhfuil "orm" breá ceart ansin mar atá?

pog it wrote: »
    Ach cén fáth an t-athrú sin, nach bhfuil "orm" breá ceart ansin mar atá?

Ní botún mór é ar chor ar bith. Níl ann ach go bhfuil an chéad phearsa agus an dara pearsa ag déanamh tagartha don duine céanna ...

Go raibh maith agaibh, gach duine!

• Advertisement
Advertisement