Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Help regarding college courses ?????

Options
  • 17-04-2010 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi guys,
    i still have no idea what i want to do in college:(. So i am wondering if anybody knows the best course to do that will genrate the largest salary in the long run ?? points must be between 400 - 510. And please dont respond with a lecture about repeating or something like that. Thank you very much guys,
    Stacey :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

if you're brilliant at maths

actuarial mathematics DCU 485 last year

DCU also have a common entry to financial maths which can lead to actuary course in dcu but you need to score well in dcu. 410 points last year

otherwise if you're not an A maths student then

based on 2009 points (from www.qualifax.ie )

accounting UCC 475
    accounting and finance DCU 435
    accounting and finance DIT 410
    commerce-accounting NUIG 455

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

boab wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    i still have no idea what i want to do in college:(. So i am wondering if anybody knows the best course to do that will genrate the largest salary in the long run ?? points must be between 400 - 510. And please dont respond with a lecture about repeating or something like that. Thank you very much guys,
    Is the only thing you want from a career the largest possible salary?

Seriously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 boab

pathway33 wrote: »
    if you're brilliant at maths

actuarial mathematics DCU 485 last year

DCU also have a common entry to financial maths which can lead to actuary course in dcu but you need to score well in dcu. 410 points last year

otherwise if you're not an A maths student then

based on 2009 points (from www.qualifax.ie )

accounting UCC 475
    accounting and finance DCU 435
    accounting and finance DIT 410
    commerce-accounting NUIG 455
    thanks so much :] funnily enough, maths is by far my best subject. But i think a job like that would be really boring :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 boab

Is the only thing you want from a career the largest possible salary?

Seriously?
    honestly? yes :P

thanks so much :] a job like that would be really boring :(

all that matters is the money right. And if you're not into the money you can retire when you're 40

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

A career choice I would enjoy would come before the salary I could earn doing something I don't like

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

If you find a job that you like, you'll never have to 'work' again.

Having said that, I'm going for Actuarial Maths in UCD. But I think I would honestly enjoy the work of an Actuary - I went up to a major insurance company in Dublin to meet a few actuaries to see if I'd like the work that they do, and I think I would.

honestly? yes :P
    In that case I suggest you look into working on an oil rig. You don't even need to go to college, though some training will certainly be necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

Hi guys,

I'm sorry, but that's not how it works. Unless you like/are interested in your chosen career area you're unlikely to be good enough at it to make "the largest salary in the long run".
    You need to sit down and think about what you're interested in as a person, find a college course to suit these interests, get a top-quality degree, and then find somebody to pay you to do what you love (or at least like).

University is very different to school. You need to be motivated yourself to do your course and get a first-class degree. I think this motivation can only really stem from interest in your chosen area of study.

P.S. After such an economic downturn, there isn't really any one job which will guarantee you the a huge amount of money. Sorry to burst your bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

MavisDavis wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but that's not how it works. Unless you like/are interested in your chosen career area you're unlikely to be good enough at it to make "the largest salary in the long run".
    You need to sit down and think about what you're interested in as a person, find a college course to suit these interests, get a top-quality degree, and then find somebody to pay you to do what you love (or at least like).

University is very different to school. You need to be motivated yourself to do your course and get a first-class degree. I think this motivation can only really stem from interest in your chosen area of study.

P.S. After such an economic downturn, there isn't really any one job which will guarantee you the a huge amount of money. Sorry to burst your bubble.
    Doctors are generally guaranteed to be well paid in fairness:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

theowen wrote: »
    Doctors are generally guaranteed to be well paid in fairness:rolleyes:

I highly doubt the op has done the HPAT, so that's not really an option if she doesn't want to repeat/take a year out.
    Plus, medicine is a vocation, tbh.

theowen wrote: »
    Doctors are generally guaranteed to be well paid eventually in fairness:rolleyes:
    (My edit)

Yes, do well, work hard, you'll eventually end up bringing in big bucks, but it will take a fair while.

5 - 6 years basic medical training, with money flowing out rather than in; further years as a JHO doing all the sh***y jobs on low pay, improving slightly at SHO, and beginning to look decent at Registrar level. And yes, as a consultant, suddenly the bank balance starts to look pretty healthy, but you're talking at least 35, even if you work your ass off and are really good at what you do ... and 35 is young for a consultant.

Or go the GP route ... a further couple of years of training after medical school, then out as a GP, and yes, gross income is probably better earlier BUT that doesn't mean net income is all that much better. You're essentially operating as a business, either as a sole trader or in partnership, with major costs ... premises, staff (receptionist at a minimum), medical insurance (horrendous!) etc. A good GP will certainly never be stuck for a few bob, but few enough will retire at 50 as millionaires, unless they're pretty savvy outside of their own field, in investments etc. ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭gloryutd

Talking about medicine and accountancy is pointless really as if she's not interested in them there's no way in hell she'd come out of them with the ability to earn a lot of money.

What are your hobbies / pastimes? What subjects do you do and what grade do you expect in each of them? Also, why must it be a minimum of 400 points?

First rule of the leaving cert: Answer the question asked not the one you would have liked to have been asked.

OP specifically requested the course that would give her the largest salary. So everybody should stop trying to ruin the OP's life by trying to bring her some happiness :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I wouldn't do actuary on the basis of "oh I need to do this as it gives me the best possible salary".

Do the course in college fine, however it's damn hard once you're out of college having to study constantly to finish the rest of your exams to qualify. You most likely will take at least 3-4 years to qualify, that's 8 years of studying after the leaving cert. And trust me, it is tough studying for that long and also, the exams are hard and on top of everything else, you're working full time (although you do get study days).

Yes actuaries get paid very well but it's like all jobs that pay well - it is darn hard to reach the goal of being a qualified actuary. You have to be really committed to wanting to qualify in order to choose this type of career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

You could get into any computer science/programming course in the country with 500 points.If you're very very good at it (some people are, some people aren't, regardless of points) and you have all the right skills to go along with it (able to work in team and on own initiative, decent interpersonal skills, blah blah blah) you can get a very good salary out of software development.

but you'll be **** at almost everything you do if you don't enjoy it,take an interest in it and work hard at it. imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 nonnah-semaj

I had that mind-set about 4 years ago. Just finishing first year in college and there is no point in doing a course that you only want to do so u will earn alot in the future. You will drop out of the course or fail drastically as you will never go in, trust me you wont, even if you say you will. The best thing to do is find a course on Qualifax in which you are interested, and without doubt take a look at the modules you will have to do in that course.

Advertisement