Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a readable book on relativity of time

Options
  • 17-04-2010 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere. If so, then mods please feel free to lock or move.

I am looking for a readable book that can explain the whole idea of the Relativity of Time to a layman without a scientific background.

To give you an idea, I teach at third level and am fairly well versed in theology, history and philosophy, but never went beyond O level in science. I enjoy books like Jared Diamond's stuff and also Bill Bryson's "A Short History of Nearly Everything" - but would probably struggle with anything that presupposes any undergraduate-or-above knowledge of science, or that uses a lot of jargon.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

If such a book exists I'd be very interested to hear of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I bought (and liked)

time travel in Einstein's universe (The Physical Possibilities of Travel Through Time) by J. Richard Gott

in the Science Gallery in Trinity.

It's not as readable as "A Short History of Nearly Everything" (but that's possibly because Bill Bryson is fantastic), but has good diagrammes that help explain things.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

This is one of the best popular science books I have ever read, exactly what you are looking for I think. Well written, not at all technical and very accessible for any reader.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fabric-Cosmos-Texture-Reality-Penguin/dp/0141011114

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

Relativity visualised is great but i cannot find it anywhere online cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

http://www.archive.org/details/einsteintheoryof032414mbp

This is a laymans explanation of both Special & General Relativity.

Keep in mind it goes off explaining things like tensors :eek: but it's packaged as a popular book so I'd say this is right up your alley.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1406765236/deniafomi/

Here's a new release of the book, the reviewers say only high school math is required so it should be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

marco_polo wrote: »
    This is one of the best popular science books I have ever read, exactly what you are looking for I think. Well written, not at all technical and very accessible for any reader.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fabric-Cosmos-Texture-Reality-Penguin/dp/0141011114

Thanks! That was just the kind of thing I was looking for. I downloaded it onto my Kindle and am half way through it. You gotta love an author who explains relativity with illustrations about Bart Simpson skateboarding at the speed of light and Itchy & Scratchy fighting in space. Great stuff! :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

PDN wrote: »
    Thanks! That was just the kind of thing I was looking for. I downloaded it onto my Kindle and am half way through it. You gotta love an author who explains relativity with illustrations about Bart Simpson skateboarding at the speed of light and Itchy & Scratchy fighting in space. Great stuff! :)

Nearly forgot about Itchy and Scratchy, makes me want to dig it out and read it again :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

How about Richard Dawkings book: "A Brief Delusion In Time"?

;)

Advertisement