Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death Knights, the big change

Options
  • 17-04-2010 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭

So you may be wondering, whats the change?

If like me the first thing you do when you boot your pc up are the following.

Read mmo-champ
    Read mmo-champ class forums
    Read elitist jerks class forums.
    Cry over how sad your life is.

Well yesterday I was doing my daily routine, and noticed nothing new on mmo in relation to classes. I'm currently playing a death knight alt at the moment with a balance druid main, the warlock unfortunately has been put into retirement until further notice.

So usually the threads arnt up to much without class changes, its people asking help in their builds and specs, alot of speculation over Bis items and mostly trinkets.

So I passed through the pages of druid related chatter to find nothing of much, and then I read the last post of the death knight thread from mmo which basically said

"Your man over at elitist jerks has come up with some new stat weights, you might want to change your first post"

O thats interesting so I said.

Death knights currently work something like the following.

Our stat priority (was)

hitcap > Strength > Crit rating > Expertise...and thats its

For unholy ( which I am with bloodsubspec) Haste and arm pen were the biggest waste of time ever.

But o how its all changed.

Theres no class change, its just a scaling thing, after extensive tests through icc gear, the DK's priority for stats has no changed, entirely.

For an Unholy DK with a blood subspec
    hitcap > Str > Arp > Haste > Expertise > Crit

Crit has fallen by the wayside, and armourpen is now showing the heaviest dps weight.

For an Unholy DK with frostsubspec
    hitcap > Str > Haste > Arp > Expertise
    Witha frost subspec haste is a better altenative due to the use of icy talons.

Have to say I was utterly shocked, and I'm absolutely loving it. I kinda enjoy when something like this happens, cause the community surrounding that class comes alive, and more awesomer( new word) the people that can actually use those simulations and spreadsheets properly, can do all the work for me lol :)

If you play a DK endgame it would be worth reading the thread over at EJ. He is currently reworking the Gemming guide, but there is a really nice table showing the stat weights for each one. For a quick one

If Crit = 1dps, Arp = 2.6 Thats kinda big.

I'm interested to see the gemming guide, because previously youd pretty much gem 20 STR everywhere, unless a socket bonus provided over 4STR and you would take that, and in ICC gear its usually always a yellow socket which you threw in 10 str 10 crit. However there is no STR / Arp gem, so you will be looking to 20arp and completely ignoring socket bonuses, but then again you need to decide how much arp and str gems to use.

Its an interesting few days ahead as I wait patiently to see the new gemming advice and caps.

If you raid a DK and you DONT read those threads I'd advise to do so, if anything it makes things alot more interesting.

For example Dustaz here advised me to take the Glyph of Pestilance to refresh diseases, and I read a post from someone on EJ asking the same question and they said he was a lunatic for taking that Glyph :) It arises some interesting debates, reading, and imo betters yourself as a player and your understanding of your class.

I'm making the effort to understand stat weights more, and how Arp pen works, and jesus christ my head is going to implode.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

Flabbergasting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭yhwh

ehhhh :confused::confused::confused: yep

haha I'm so glad I quit this game :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

actually handy for me :) I'm currently playing a dk alt for something to do (quit raiding on my pally) and trying to gear up was confusing me. why the differences between the blood subspec or the frost? I'm using byrntoll if that makes a difference

char is Testostauren on Jaedenar Horde side

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

A frost subspec puts more emphasis on haste since youll be speccing into improved icy talons.

If your using byrmtoll, I'd say youd want

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deathknight#flc-n68QFeGyqM,HpF,11623

That spec

And for the comments above, this is the wow forum, for wow news and discussion, and for Death knights, this is a big enough deal worth a post and a chat about it.

Dont feel the need to bump your post count every thread you read : /

ok thanks, any chance of a quick rotation advise? using the following atm
    IT,PS,HS*2,SS,DC HOW, SS*2,DS*2,DC*2 and rinse repeat... but i could be very wrong

• Advertisement

From reading it seems to be

Killing Machine -> Frost Strike
    Keep Frost Fever up
    Keep Blood Plague up
    Obliterate
    Blood Srike
    Frost Strike
    Rime
    Horn of Winter

Have a look @ here for some sound advice

http://elitistjerks.com/f72/t83319-frost_dps_3_3_3_will_day_long_remembered/

And im sure there are some more experienced dks then me that can chip in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

Splinter wrote: »
    IT,PS,HS*2,SS,DC HOW, SS*2,DS*2,DC*2 and rinse repeat... but i could be very wrong

dont you gain a small bit more damage gain if you do PS then IT? read it somewere cant remember.

Really need to get my DK stats back into gear, left him off right after 3.2 came out and started playing with him again maybe 2 weeks ago.

Any chance a link to the discussion

TheDoc wrote: »
    From reading it seems to be

Keep Frost Fever up
    Keep Blood Plague up
    Obliterate
    Blood Srike
    Frost Strike
    Rime
    Horn of Winter

Have a look @ here for some sound advice

http://elitistjerks.com/f72/t83319-frost_dps_3_3_3_will_day_long_remembered/

And im sure there are some more experienced dks then me that can chip in
    nice thread but seems to be aimed towards frost dks using 2 one handers :( I'll keep looking and see what i can dig up

edit: http://elitistjerks.com/f72/t72364-unholy_dps_heres_night/

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

I'm very confused... Heart Strike, Scourge Strike and Death Strike, all in the one rotation? Or am I getting the abbreviations wrong? :p
    dont you gain a small bit more damage gain if you do PS then IT? read it somewere cant remember.
    Depends on your glyphs - you'd gain 20% of your Icy Touch's initial application damage, but if you've got the Glyph of Disease, you shouldn't need to recast IT/PS, so the net damage gain would be a once-off. If you're really into min-maxing, I suppose it may be possible (although, there could be an argument for IT first for getting maximum uptime on your Frost Fever debuff)
    If Crit = 1dps, Arp = 2.6 Thats kinda big.
    I haven't read the EJ thread in a while, but I get the feeling that this statement, as it stands, is a bit out of context - AFAIK, Armor Pen can only provide those kinds of DPS improvements once you start approaching the hard cap (or if you're at soft cap, during ArPen trinket uptime)
    Keep Frost Fever up
    Keep Blood Plague up
    Obliterate
    Blood Srike
    Frost Strike
    Rime
    Horn of Winter
    Hmm, seems shocking that KM buffed Frost Strike would gain priority over diseases - if your diseases drop off as you do that, you lose a good 35%(?) damage to that Strike, along with an Obliterate since you have to re-apply diseases. Currently, I'm going with
    Priority Rotation
    1. Frost Fever
    2. Blood Plague
    3. Rime/KM Proc
    4. Obliterate
    5. KM/Frost Strike
    6. Blood Strike
    7. FS without KM
    8. Rime without KM
    (source)

I haven't geared up yet and, while it has proven tricky to adhere to it strictly, it has provided me with, what I believe to be, fairly decent results - if I could upgrade both weapons soon (with any luck, I'll be taking the DK to TotC tomorrow, otherwise I'll be grinding FoS :P), I expect a nice boost (2x Reaper of Dark Souls at the moment xD)

nice thread but seems to be aimed towards frost dks using 2 one handers :( I'll keep looking and see what i can dig up

edit: http://elitistjerks.com/f72/t72364-unholy_dps_heres_night/

afaik, Frost dps should be using two handers, because the emphasis of the build is putting out as many auto attacks as faast as you can. Its a build built on haste.

If you were using a two hander, you would be unholy or blood, the whole frost buzz is using dualwielding ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement