Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Keeping chickens (for eggs)

Options
  • 17-04-2010 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Thinking of keeping chickens, for eggs, in the back garden using one of these.

Are there any laws I should be aware of which may prevent me from keeping 3 - 4 hens?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

they are way over priced, for 3 or 4 hens a dog house can easily be turned into a coop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭December

I think the eglus are great, we're planning on getting one of the cubes for next year. :D I like that they're different and will last a lot longer than wooden ones you see on the market - and a lot easier to clean!

I say go for it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I think those coops are way overpriced and if a middle aged woman who never used a circular saw or an angle grinder can built something like that in three days (evenings) for only 20 quid then so can anyone else:

26457_115738918450245_100000424117521_189632_1269570_n.jpg

Those chicken are Seramas and miniature so not suitable for free range hence the *aviary*. They are only pigeon sized. But for my laying hens I build a moveable run and coop for only 10 quid ;).

Advertisement