Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Fences/Privacy

Options
  • 17-04-2010 11:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭

Hi all...

This is probably unachieveable.

Any suggestions as to how to quickly achieve privacy where a boundary fence does not exist in neighbouring gardens? Sandy soil.

The obvious is posts/panel fencing, but the choices are so limited..also in a coastal location, subject to high winds....

Any miracle ideas? Much appreciated....yours desperately.

Rob
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Photinia fraseri, or red robin - large screening plant, grows quickly, makes an excellent hedge, evergreen, dark green foliage with new growth a bright red, can be trimmed and cut into a very neat hedge, can grow up to 12ft high.

Photinia%20Fraseri%20B&B.jpg

It would be an idea to put some sort of boundary fence in - be it post and rail or hanging panels, just to define your boundary. Then you can plant screening plants long it. Make sure you don't plant something that will steal too much of your neighbour's light, or intrude into their garden, or you'll just piss them off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭CityMan2010

What a superb suggestion...thank you for your time, very much appreciated....best wishes to you...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

No worries. One of the landscapers may come in with other suggestions. There is also a species of fast-growing lillypilly called Neighbours-Be-Gone (I swear to God I'm not making that up), latin name Acmena smithii. I have no idea if it's available in Ireland, but it's a fast, bushy grower that will do similar to the Photinia.

When planting new hedging, dig a trench rather than individual holes for young hedge plants. Also clear the grass well back from the trench, so don't allow it to grow right up to the plants like in the picture I posted, because grass can compete strongly with young hedging plants for nutrients and moisture. Keep it cleared well back until the hedge is established.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Lasereye

photinea do not grow well in windy conditions and can become transperent in winter, a better idea is laurels, 5th laurels can be bought for 25euro and would need 1 every 50cm Laurel_Hedge.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Hi all...

This is probably unachieveable.

Any suggestions as to how to quickly achieve privacy where a boundary fence does not exist in neighbouring gardens? Sandy soil.

The obvious is posts/panel fencing, but the choices are so limited..also in a coastal location, subject to high winds....

Any miracle ideas? Much appreciated....yours desperately.

Rob

There are several options for a planted screen, however if you wish to install a custom built fence which would withstand wind and provide an instant fencing solution then this is also possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭tfer

hi all, just bought a site thats in the middle of other sites that are undeveloped, but soon will be. The boundries have post and wire separating the sites now, i would love to put a hedging in its place for privacy and a wind blocker, how far (or close) should i plant to the boundry, i guess i need to keep it far enough away so i can trim the back of it.
    I like the thick tight looking hedge with small leaves , have no idea what its called ( I have never planted anything in my life !! ) but am looking forward to getting in the dirt ( not 6 feet under it though) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,183 ✭✭✭✭looksee

One possibility if you want to put in a fence is the one that is called something like 'hit and miss'. You put in square posts then fix strips across but instead of them being solid down one side they have one strip on one side then the next one goes on the other side, so the fence looks solid but in fact it has a lot of spaces for wind to go through.

Advertisement