Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iovilus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i can understand the toy/entertainment value but I cant see its relevant to paranormal research. its based on the Ovilus, and much like the Frank's Box is at best, debatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

possibly the only thing myself and macor will ever agree on. I call shenanigans on your iphone application.

Shenanigans.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

The Frank's Box device operates by chop-scanning around broadcast radio frequencies.

As such I'd consider it pure bunk as it encourages aural pareidolia.

The iOvilus on the other hand operates from a set dictionary of 1,000 words. Unlike the traditional Ovilus it does not operate in 'phonetic' mode...either it says a word or it doesn't, the margin for subjective interpretation on the part of the listener is removed from the equation, which is also the case with more conventional EVP research.

Based on what I've seen and experienced personally with the iOvilus, I'd consider it the most important EVP/ITC research breakthrough since Raudive's original work in the early 1970's.

The Frank's Box device operates by chop-scanning around broadcast radio frequencies.

As such I'd consider it pure bunk as it encourages aural pareidolia.

The iOvilus on the other hand operates from a set dictionary of 1,000 words. Unlike the traditional Ovilus it does not operate in 'phonetic' mode...either it says a word or it doesn't, the margin for subjective interpretation on the part of the listener is removed from the equation, which is also the case with more conventional EVP research.

Based on what I've seen and experienced personally with the iOvilus, I'd consider it the most important EVP/ITC research breakthrough since Raudive's original work in the early 1970's.

Its a piece of software that randomly plays words from a dictionary. thats not a breakthrough execpt in being a novel way of parting people with perfectly good money. Same time, dont let me stop you.
    Grimes wrote: »
    possibly the only thing myself and macor will ever agree on.

Ah now, that hurt. We agree on more than you may think. :pac:

im beginning to think EVPs may be related to audio ducting, but I have to check that out more.

• Advertisement

maccored wrote: »
    Its a piece of software that randomly plays words from a dictionary. thats not a breakthrough execpt in being a novel way of parting people with perfectly good money. Same time, dont let me stop you.

Ouch, I could really do with that €2 back in these recessionary times!

You obviously haven't tried it.

i havent tried a bit of software that randomly plays words from a dictionary ..... ? Any particular reason why I should?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I have tried this for the laugh.

"Is there anyone here"

bicycle

"its the ghost of a postman, are you a postman"

nuts

"he was the forest postman"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Sounds similar to the Ghost Radar app. Its just a bit of fun.

I took it to a small graveyard one evening and not even the law of randomness saw a word suggested that could be linked to any of the graves.

maccored wrote: »
    i havent tried a bit of software that randomly plays words from a dictionary ..... ? Any particular reason why I should?
    For starters it's not generating random numbers.

It cycles through a dictionary of around 1,000 words and stops depending on input it receives through the IPod/IPhone sensors.

The website for it states implicitly that it's not generating random numbers.

• Advertisement

All i can say is relax.

Its a bit of software and nothing to do with the paranormal - thats something I dont think anyone can argue against. Im sure it has 'for amusement purposes only' written on it somewhere.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I tried it out earlier. Either Im very much in tune with the spirit world or its pants. It said so many words so quickly together, I thought it was having a conversation with me!

Advertisement