Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths for Economics

Options
  • 16-04-2010 6:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi

Could some one point me in the direction of maths for economics

What should I look up? Calculus, Stats, game theory?

I remember someone posted a link to a book that's used...but that was a while ago and I can't find it now...

Thans

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Hi there,

Economics has become almost entirely mathematical, but each sub-discipline uses completely different techniques. For example, most macro modelling now involves systems of stochastic equations, which is a far cry from the calculus of microeconomics, which in turn is quite a bit away from the statistics used in econometrics. Can you tell me what are you interested in/hoping to achieve? Then I might be able to help you out a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Since this is relatively on-topic:

Anyone know how the maths involved in econometrics/quantitative methods compares to the maths in physics/maths difficulty wise?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

dog_pig wrote: »
    Since this is relatively on-topic:

Anyone know how the maths involved in econometrics/quantitative methods compares to the maths in physics/maths difficulty wise?

Thanks!

At undergraduate, Economics is a good bit less maths-intensive than Maths or Physics. Final-year Economics would use (roughly speaking) second-year Maths. Masters-level Economics will use (roughly speaking) final-year Maths.

With regard to published research, a large portion of economics papers look like maths papers, here's an arbitrary example. The other half are applied statistics (i.e. econometric) papers, with an arbitrary example here.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭dog_pig

At undergraduate, Economics is a good bit less maths-intensive than Maths or Physics. Final-year Economics would use (roughly speaking) second-year Maths. Masters-level Economics will use (roughly speaking) final-year Maths.

With regard to published research, a large portion of economics papers look like maths papers, here's an arbitrary example. The other half are applied statistics (i.e. econometric) papers, with an arbitrary example here.

Cheers for the insight, appreciate it!

Advertisement