Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win 7 64 bit Host -> VMWare -> Win2k8 64bit -> Problems?

Options
  • 16-04-2010 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm a long time user of VMWare server. It think it's brilliant. however, I'm coming up with a new problem that I haven't seen before. then again, I've never tried to guest Win2k8 before.

I've always used VMware Server1.x before and really do't like VMWare server 2.x but have to use it for 64bit.

When I create a new Win2k8 vm and try to boot with a 180 day trial iso, the VM boots up, begins to install Win2k8 but about 3 or 4 mins in, I get to a window that appears to be asking for drivers.There is nothing really I can select as the window is empty. Is this normal? I assume not.

Any ideas?
    Anyone installed Win2k8 Std 64 in a VMServer vm successfully?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rambo

Do you have a screen shoot
    thanks

I have install windows 2008 std 64bit on vmserver 3.5 ok

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Here you go. When I start the VM, Win2k8 ISO boots up, I select English Irish then "Install Now". After about 20 seconds, I get the window below.

screenshot.5.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Maybe its looking for a driver for something you have plugged into the host (workstation tries to give access to usb bits attached to host to the guests, guess that the server version does the same) ... disconnect usb headset/dvd/whatever and try again?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

copy the files to the virtual HDD (boot from a linux iso or something) and choose browse during setup

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Does this version of VMWare support Win2008 ?
    I remember having something similar in the past with Win 7 : I'll try to find how to resolve it [ I had to add a second drive or something like that ]

Maybe worth trying it on Sun Virtual box [ it's free :-) ]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

It does support Win2k8. The problem turned out to be my laptop. Did it on another machine and it worked.

Advertisement