Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fingal Indo now charging for "Enhanced Premium Content" on Web

Options
  • 16-04-2010 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,766 ✭✭✭✭

I noticed today that the Fingal Indo now want to charge 50¢ to read "Premium articles" on their website. Details here.

A letter from the Group Editor starts:
    "Dear Reader, The Fingal Independent is about to change its website, offering you the chance to access enhanced premium content."

"Enhanced premium content" would appear to be actually "content" (ie, the same article that appeared in the print edition). The only "enhanced" or "premium" aspects being the ridiculous price that the Fingal Indo are now looking for to read it possibly up to a week after the print edition goes on sale.
    (Quote from FAQ: "Premium newspaper content will be published online after the print edition goes on sale in shops. Sometimes it can take up to a week for all premium newspaper content to be online.") So what is "enhanced" or "premium" about that & why should I pay for it?

I used to use the web edition during the week & then buy the printed copy at the weekend. For this reader - I shan't bother using the web edition any more. I'd imagine that web traffic will drop now & that may have an impact on site advertising revenues.

What a pity. :(

(Beasty - Can you please Mod this thread so that there is a level of impartiality to it? Thanks, HB)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

They've been doing it for 3 weeks now. I think most of the Independent paper group are doing it now (aside from independent.ie, thankfully).

Shame really. I certainly won't be paying to view the contents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Me either.

Their website coverage of the paper was poor at best in the first place.

It's my weekly treat to bring a Wednesday copy home and have a good browse. I'd rather buy a paper copy in my local shop and support the local retailer if I am to buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

Yeah what's that all about? First they leave Swords and now this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭dubmick

First they leave Swords and now this.

where are they based now?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

dubmick wrote: »
    where are they based now?

The Fingal is owned by the Drogheda Independent which is part of the INM group. They moved up their other office to save money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,766 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

They still have their address listed on the website as Main Street, Swords.

See here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

The Fingal is owned by the Drogheda Independent which is part of the INM group. They moved up their other office to save money.

And made staff redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

And made staff redundant.
    That doesn't surprise me at all.

Advertisement