Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai i30 opinions?

Options
  • 16-04-2010 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

May finally get around to buying new 5 door car after new addition to family... we were pretty much decided on test driving 1.6 Leons and Golfs.... but now I've been eyeing up these Hyundai i30s. Anyone drive one? Thoughts?
    (PS Don't want a saloon or SUV even tho I know people might think these aren't big enough as a family car.)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Best value for money at the moment in a medium family car had to be this.....

2009-renault-megane-sport-tourer-front-side-588x441.jpg

Its the Renault Grand Megane ( Estate ) and its the same price as the regular hatchback.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 emac82

My Girlfriend has one at the moment. Its a diesel with good mpg and plenty of poke. Nice looking car with the kit on them. Plenty of extras inside too, ipod connection is a nice one. Overall she is very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

emac82 wrote: »
    My Girlfriend has one at the moment. Its a diesel with good mpg and plenty of poke. Nice looking car with the kit on them. Plenty of extras inside too, ipod connection is a nice one. Overall she is very happy with it.

same as my girlfriend.

Peasant has a review of it on here, search for it.

I find the steering odd, its reluctant to move off of centre and just feels strange to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Drove its sister car the Kia ceed 1.6CRd for a while and liked it.
    A few months before I had a Golf Plus 1.6 petrol for a couple of weeks and there was little to pick between them

I'd certainly consider the Hyundai i30

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

Thanks for replies, food for thought, worth a test drive I guess. Our budget is under 10k and it seems the i30s are cheaper than the Leons and Golfs for a newer model and with less millage than we could afford with the other two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Best value for money at the moment in a medium family car had to be this.....

renaultalert.jpg

Its the Renault Grand Megane ( Estate ) and its the same price as the regular hatchback.

Just kidding. The Grand Megane looks very well and I'm sure the specification is comparable, if not better than the Korean's. Really is some value for money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Chuchu wrote: »
    Thanks for replies, food for thought, worth a test drive I guess. Our budget is under 10k and it seems the i30s are cheaper than the Leons and Golfs for a newer model and with less millage than we could afford with the other two.

If its a used car you're after then nothing betters a Focus for under 10 grand IMO....

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Focus/1.4-16v-/200938195214115/advert?channel=CARS .......for example

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

The i30 is basically the same as a Kia Ceed.

IMO it has a nicer interior than the Ceed (nice blue backlighting) but I'm not a fan of the styling. I've driven a 1.4 and thought it was grand, nothing fantastic but nothing at all bad either. Was economical enough too.

Cross the Leon off your list if you want baby seats in the back. Loads of room but acess is restricted by the roof line...makes for plenty of head banging.

The diesels are excellent in the i30 though, one of the better of it's kind.

yeah used... I should have pointed that out in the original post alright, I just don't know why the focus doesn't appeal. A good few people have said we should at least test drive it too, but most of the ones I've looked at online are 05s within our price range, so that is a gud 'un alright. I guess if I'm honest I don;t like the body of the car but will prob test drive none the less. I guess we'll test drive 4 models so far (leon, golf, i30, focus) anything else by way of tips appreciated.

EPM wrote: »
    The i30 is basically the same as a Kia Ceed.

IMO it has a nicer interior than the Ceed (nice blue backlighting) but I'm not a fan of the styling. I've driven a 1.4 and thought it was grand, nothing fantastic but nothing at all bad either. Was economical enough too.

Cross the Leon off your list if you want baby seats in the back. Loads of room but acess is restricted by the roof line...makes for plenty of head banging.

The diesels are excellent in the i30 though, one of the better of it's kind.

Really EPM??? Say it aint so re head room? Good to know tho thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I rented an i30 Sport 1.6 CRDi for 2 days for a trip to Cork from Thurles and back. I can honestly say that I loved it. Very comfortable, great sound system, half leather seats etc. all made it a nice place to be.

The mpg is unreal too. I put €30 of diesel into it before leaving Thurles. I wasn't trying to save fuel and had the foot down most of the time. On the way back I was trying my best to use up all the fuel because you don't ge that money back but nothing worked. I turned on the air-con and all but the needle didn't budge.

It looks really well with the Sport extras on it too!

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

Great car IMO. The father had the 1.4 petrol 2008 one and in the last few weeks traded up to a 2010 1.6 diesel. I have to say the diesel is a far nicer car to drive. The petrol although nice and smooth just didnt have enough poke. When I eventually get rid of the 95 corolla I will be buying the i30 diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭yknaa

For the month of May they are offering the delux i30 1.6d for the same price as the entry level model. With the scrappage allowence it looks impressive at €16k.

I am tempted to investigate a trade in with my 1.8tdi 2008 Ford Focus (Ghia) with low mileage. Any guesstimate what the costs might be? I will ring around a few showrooms and see if they are interested but would like to know what to expect.

Since its been brought back up.

Having driven the beemer for a few months now I drove the i30 last nite and it felt so weird and frankly terrible in comparison, which is odd cos I liked it before.

A lot of squeaks and rattles have appeared recently. The GF said the same so it was not just me.

The steering still feels really odd and I don't like the shifter anymore, aside from that its grand. Much much quicker pickup with the diesel than I'm used to. :)

Much much quicker pickup with the diesel than I'm used to. :)

What sort of bimmer do you drive if a 1.6 i30 is faster, 4cyl ? The torque in diesels can make it seem you are accelerating faster than you are.

RoverJames wrote: »
    What sort of bimmer do you drive if a 1.6 i30 is faster, 4cyl ? The torque in diesels can make it seem you are accelerating faster than you are.

no, what I meant was the clutch pickup is almost instant, no leeway at all. Sorry, badly phrased.

Yeah i drive a 4pot so isn't great until over 3k rpm.

Advertisement