Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DOE test for campers, make your voice heard

Options
  • 16-04-2010 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

For all of you how know about it ...and more importantly for those who missed it:

THE RSA wants to introduce a DOE test for motorcaravans. They have a public consultation about it and we have written a letter to them in reply (see attachement)

You too can send this letter to them, either via e-mail to: motorcaravanconsultation@rsa.ie or by post to:
    Vehicle Standards, Road Safety Authority, Moy Valley Business Park, Primrose Hill, Ballina, Co Mayo. Please mark the envelope “Motor Caravan Consultation”.

We would also like to invite non-members of the forum to avail of this letter. Anyone who owns a motorhome and wants to send this letter is welcome to do so.

All we would ask is that you show your serious intent to the RSA by signing the letter with your name, address and motorcaravan registration.

You can find the letter here:

Have you sent his letter to the RSA 32 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    100%
    deadl0ckpeasantstapelerSonOfPerditionnookiesamihtuppenceMalta1corkbuoymacpeteclionaricholoobyloudoubledeckerdenmarOuterBombieirishrverskippymankillalanerrpedro500martyc5674 32 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

No
    via post 10 mins ago

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

No
    *bump*

Would everyone who has sent the letter please vote "yes" here. It would be nice to know just how much noise we're making at the RSA, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

No
    Pehaps make this a sticky for a few weeks.....if people dont have to hunt for it they might be more inclined to complete it?

No
    Stickies tend to get read less than current threads in my experience.

So we have two stickies and one current thread about this test thing to cover all bases :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

No
    Hi peasant,
    Was just thinking that this might be something Matt Cooper may cover on his Today FM show "The Last Word" (linky).
    Has anyone contacted him about it, as he may do an item on it, and be able to get somebody from the DoE on to comment on it ?
    Just an idea.....

• Advertisement

No
    Personally, I wouldn't be too enamoured with that idea ...bit too confrontational for my liking.

Let's face it, we motorhomers have had it good for years. Lower VRT, very low tax and no test to worry about. I can't really see public opinion having that much sympathy for our current plight.

The test is coming, that much is sure, the EU will see to that.

All we can hope for is a test procedure that actually matches our vans and not some hastily nailed together test just for test's sake.

That aim would be better achieved by quiet negotiation rather than public grievance in my opinion.

We can still create a stink if the RSA completely ignores our points, but until then I'd rather keep quiet and co-operative than loud and confrontational

EDIT:
    Of course that's just my personal opinion, I can't speak for the forum or anyone else on this.

No
    You may be right - It was just a thought really...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

No
    Bump and mine was posted this morning.

No
    got this reply today:
    Dear *peasant*,

I wish to acknowledge receipt of your comments to the Road Safety Authority public consultation on the policy options available for the roadworthiness testing of motor caravans. Thank you for taking the time to read this document. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Please be assured that they will be taken into consideration as part of the overall consultation process.

Kind regards,

Ursula Mc Andrew

Vehicle Standards

No
    Just got the exact same reply 5 mins ago.

• Advertisement

No
    same here

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SonOfPerdition

No
    I've posted my copy of the letter this evening to lend my support.

Hats off to everyone involved, i've been following the work on the forum and have to say a big thanks for the efforts.:)

SOP.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭OuterBombie

No
    Going into the post now, thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

No
    Done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭niloc1951

No
    Sent and got the usual acknowledgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭corkbuoy

No
    Letter in the post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

No
    Gone today by snail mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 pedro500

No
    Have been following this thread, great work on the letter and I posted a copy this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭skippyman

No
    Letter sent of today!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭superfly35

Sorry guys, a quick question !
    I just convert my van to a camper van are you saying that I am exempt DOE then?

I will send the letter as soon as I understand it properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭defike

No
    mail sent

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭defike

No
    camper were exempt from test upto now but soon they will have to be tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

No
    superfly35 wrote: »
    Sorry guys, a quick question !
    I just convert my van to a camper van are you saying that I am exempt DOE then?

I will send the letter as soon as I understand it properly.

When I raised this point with the RSA last year I was told that every vehicle must by law have a test and if it's too big (a private transit van for example) for the NCT to deal with then it has to have a DOE test.
    Perhaps classic and vintage vehicles are exempt but that would be all.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭denmar

No
    Letter sent today

No
    Just bumping this one.....comming near closing date

Advertisement