Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alienware M11x or something else?

Options
  • 16-04-2010 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi,

I recently fried my onboard graphics playing cs:source and am in the market for a new gaming laptop.

I've been looking at the M11 and like everything but the price...does anybody have any alternatives? I've been looking around boards but there doesnt seem to be anything that meets my needs.

Ideal laptop:
    -11 - 14 inch screen.
    -Excellent battery life.
    -Global coverage plan - I travel a lot.
    -Light as possible but not a deal breaker.
    -Graphics able to handle high spec games.
    -HDMI out.
    -Wireless and bluetooth (wired a bonus)

Anybody out there have the M11? Should I run screaming from the prospect of purchasing?

All help appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

User wingnut bought one and commented on it on THIS thread. I suspect he'll post on this thread if he sees it. You could drop him a PM too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Darwin

I bought an M11x on release too, it's a nice machine and can handle most recent games without any trouble - I've run Mass Effect 2, Batman Arkham Asylum and a few other titles so far. The main criticism of it is the weakish CPU, but most games are very GPU dependent. Keep an eye out for a rash of new launches from Asus which includes a 13 incher with a Core i5 and 310m GPU (see here) which ticks most of your boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

Darwin wrote: »
    I bought an M11x on release too, it's a nice machine and can handle most recent games without any trouble - I've run Mass Effect 2, Batman Arkham Asylum and a few other titles so far. The main criticism of it is the weakish CPU, but most games are very GPU dependent. Keep an eye out for a rash of new launches from Asus which includes a 13 incher with a Core i5 and 310m GPU (see here) which ticks most of your boxes.

Given how fast my M1330 has gone through batteries, I would have to say the battery being integrated would become a huge problem, very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 RandomQuestion

As life goes my situation has changed, the job I'm in has cut back on travel - yay! Since battery life and weight are no longer an issue, I have decided to go for an entry level gaming notebook from Notebook Guru - the Guru Ice i7 as it is within in my budget and I like the customizable spec.

Has anybody dealt with them before?

Thanks to everyone who posted, that Asus laptop and pretty much all Asus laptops look great but I like the Guru stuff. But Asus will be the fallback if Guru stuff turns out to be rubbish.

Cheers :)

Advertisement