Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Anchorite, Father Lazarus El Anthony

Options
  • 16-04-2010 12:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭

I just have seen these videos of a short documentary split into two parts and I felt I just HAD to share them with all my fellow Christians.

In addition to posting the videos I was wondering if anyone here knows since the making of this video if anyone else has followed in his steps?

It's a very brave and couragous step to make, and I would imagine that much spiritual training would be needed in order to embark on such a lonely journey.

Father Lazarus was from australia and was a lecturer at a university there of both literature and philosophy, he was a atheist and took it mainly from marxism. following his mothers untimely death he entered a serbian orthodox church upon which he heard the Holy Virgin speak to him and since then he embarked on his journey.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKXf_7Tt0-c ( part 1 )
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag6WE__82Q8&feature=related ( part 2)

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

forgot to mention also that there is a book about him also.

http://www.shambhala.com/images/covers/large/1590301455.jpg

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

forgot to mention also that there is a book about him also.

http://www.shambhala.com/images/covers/large/1590301455.jpg

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

There are many others, but they shun any fame or publicity and lead truly hidden lives, supported only by their spiritual director etc

Graces7 wrote: »
    There are many others, but they shun any fame or publicity and lead truly hidden lives, supported only by their spiritual director etc

As far as I know, there is a difference between the hermitage ( which is below Father Lazarus's mountain ) and an anchorite, an anchorite is much more cut off in the world than the hermit. Here in the west, it was too cold to do what Father Lazarus did, so the last anchorites in the west were in medieval times, when they would wall themselves into a part of the church, and there would be a little hole in which he could throw out his feces and another in which he would recieve food from the lay faithful who would pass by.

I highly doubt anyone is doing what Father Lazarus is doing.

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

As far as I know, there is a difference between the hermitage ( which is below Father Lazarus's mountain ) and an anchorite, an anchorite is much more cut off in the world than the hermit. Here in the west, it was too cold to do what Father Lazarus did, so the last anchorites in the west were in medieval times, when they would wall themselves into a part of the church, and there would be a little hole in which he could throw out his feces and another in which he would recieve food from the lay faithful who would pass by.

Pax Christi

Your idea of anchoritic life is really wide of the mark.

A "popular" caricature of that life. Shaking my head here!!!!

As a Monastic Historian you need to trust me on that.

And there are others known personally.

Blessings and peace.

Blessings and peace.

I dont know how you see picked up my view of it as ''popular'' I've said nothing of the sort.

St.Anthony the Great is the one who started anchoritic life, and it thus evolved into monastic life, many Monks live with each other and can see each others family and often see them maybe twice a year. But Fr.Lazarus tells us this in his interview that his life is different than the Monks below in the monastry, for he is completely cut off altogether.

Perhaps there are many others out there that we dont know of, why should I rule out that possibility? I dont say that every anchorite in the world is accounted for, but at least for now we know he is the only anchorite known to the world, living on Mount Colzim, the exact same mountain St.Anthony began on. :confused: and what I'm saying is that there is nobody in the east/west who has followed in his footsteps, i.e to go live in a cave just like his hero Saint Anthony the Great.

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

• Advertisement

I dont know how you see picked up my view of it as ''popular'' I've said nothing of the sort.

St.Anthony the Great is the one who started anchoritic life, and it thus evolved into monastic life, many Monks live with each other and can see each others family and often see them maybe twice a year. But Fr.Lazarus tells us this in his interview that his life is different than the Monks below in the monastry, for he is completely cut off altogether.

Perhaps there are many others out there that we dont know of, why should I rule out that possibility? I dont say that every anchorite in the world is accounted for, but at least for now we know he is the only anchorite known to the world, living on Mount Colzim, the exact same mountain St.Anthony began on. :confused: and what I'm saying is that there is nobody in the east/west who has followed in his footsteps, i.e to go live in a cave just like his hero Saint Anthony the Great.

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

That is one view of monastic history but not necessarily the correct ome; indeed not at all the correct one.

Anchoritic life did not give rise to monasticism. They are two totally different traditions and lifestyles. Both with their virtues but mutually incompatible and widely divergent from the very start of Christianity.

We find it difficult that any true anchorite should be televised; that is a contradiction in terms, if yoiu really think about it.

The true eremiticc mindset would never do that. How could it? it is impurity and the breaking of Vows.

Our Catechism speaks wisely of these things.

And yes there are others; true hermits and anchorites shun fame and human eyes.

Fully alone and fully set apart.

They live alone for Jesus; shunning all others.

And if you read his life, he does have a fair amount of contact with others - by emeritic standards that is.

Eg once a week a meal in common.

It was your ideas re city anchorites that raised laughter here; we were referring to a couple of badly reseached novels that are out about Julian of Norwich.

Anchoritic life did not give rise to monasticism. They are two totally different traditions and lifestyles. Both with their virtues but mutually incompatible and widely divergent from the very start of Christianity.

St.Anthony started the anchoritic/monastic tradition, he was an anchorite yes? He also would come into meet people the odd time from the desert and give sermons and solve disputes, does this make the founder on monastis lifestyle a fake?
    We find it difficult that any true anchorite should be televised; that is a contradiction in terms, if yoiu really think about it.

As I have already stated, St.Anthony had St.Athanasius looking out for him and had human contact and most of the people surrounding the desert knew him very well, does this make him a fake?
    The true eremiticc mindset would never do that. How could it? it is impurity and the breaking of Vows.

And when was meeting people a breaking of poverty chastity and obedience?
    Our Catechism speaks wisely of these things.

I'd love to see the paragraph in which it does, please quote me.
    And yes there are others; true hermits and anchorites shun fame and human eyes.

if they shun fame and human eyes then how would you know they are there?

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

St.Anthony started the anchoritic/monastic tradition, he was an anchorite yes? He also would come into meet people the odd time from the desert and give sermons and solve disputes, does this make the founder on monastis lifestyle a fake?

As I have already stated, St.Anthony had St.Athanasius looking out for him and had human contact and most of the people surrounding the desert knew him very well, does this make him a fake?

And when was meeting people a breaking of poverty chastity and obedience?

I'd love to see the paragraph in which it does, please quote me.

if they shun fame and human eyes then how would you know they are there?

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

((Stephen)) Please don;t go there.

You know a little on these things and a little only. Please believe me on that.

Two points only will suffice... The Vows an anchorite takes are not the same as monastic vows, and the same applies to hermits.

Ask google and do some real reading; it is a fascinating subject and one I have studied in depth for some four decades now and I am still learning.

The other point; it is a life that no one should or can undertake without a director and or acolyte. Some do even so;but to be truly an anchorite and with no contact you need provisions etv.

Most would as enclosed orders do have them deliverd to the door and not see the man.

No true anchorite would allow a TV or book coverage.

And no, Anthony is not the founder of monasticism in any way

Over and OUT, Stephen please. The first rule re acquiring knowledge is the first rule also of any form of religious life;; humility.

((Stephen)) Please don;t go there.

You know a little on these things and a little only. Please believe me on that.

Two points only will suffice... The Vows an anchorite takes are not the same as monastic vows, and the same applies to hermits.

Ask google and do some real reading; it is a fascinating subject and one I have studied in depth for some four decades now and I am still learning.

The other point; it is a life that no one should or can undertake without a director and or acolyte. Some do even so;but to be truly an anchorite and with no contact you need provisions etv.

Most would as enclosed orders do have them deliverd to the door and not see the man.

No true anchorite would allow a TV or book coverage.

And no, Anthony is not the founder of monasticism in any way

Over and OUT, Stephen please. The first rule re acquiring knowledge is the first rule also of any form of religious life;; humility.

No quote from the catechism and you make a sweeping statement that St.Anthony isnt the founder of monasticism, something the church has always claimed him to be. this thus ends our correspondance.

Just because you study an area of one subject doesnt class any of what you say as being correct. St.Anthony the great once said himself, ''it can be said that man can be intelligently wrong.''

I was on a live in vocation in a hermitage before and the vows they took were poverty chastity and obedience, if you have in depth knowledge as you claim to have then you'll tell us what these vows are of which you speak, and quote me from the Cathechism ( of which you told me speaks wisely about these things) or the documents of the Vatican council II.

So far you have failed to do so. I dont claim to have knowledge in the area, but I'm not gullible or feel forced to believe you just because you claim to have studied it for a number of years.

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

No quote from the catechism and you make a sweeping statement that St.Anthony isnt the founder of monasticism, something the church has always claimed him to be. this thus ends our correspondance.

Just because you study an area of one subject doesnt class any of what you say as being correct. St.Anthony the great once said himself, ''it can be said that man can be intelligently wrong.''

I was on a live in vocation in a hermitage before and the vows they took were poverty chastity and obedience, if you have in depth knowledge as you claim to have then you'll tell us what these vows are of which you speak, and quote me from the Cathechism ( of which you told me speaks wisely about these things) or the documents of the Vatican council II.

So far you have failed to do so. I dont claim to have knowledge in the area, but I'm not gullible or feel forced to believe you just because you claim to have studied it for a number of years.
    http://www.osb.org/rb/
    http://rule.kansasmonks.org/
    Chapter 1
    It is well known that there are four kinds of monks. The first kind is that of Cenobites, that is, the monastic, who live under a rule and an Abbot.

The second kind is that of Anchorites, or Hermits, that is, of those who, no longer in the first fervor of their conversion, but taught by long monastic practice and the help of many brethren, have already learned to fight against the devil; and going forth from the rank of their brethren well trained for single combat in the desert, they are able, with the help of God, to cope single-handed without the help of others, against the vices of the flesh and evil thoughts.

Please also learn the difference between monastic orders of monks and mendicant orders of friars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_order#Christian_tradition

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

Just throwing my two cents worth here..Please Im not knocking anybody who chooses a life away from others. Mankind has been going in to the caves for over 3 thousand years to commune with God, Or to meditate on the great mysteries of life thus finding peace calmness etc within themselves not generally found when surrounded by many distractions.

However noble these may be, I feel in this modern age things have shifted and changed where those aware of God's prescence find him everywhere. In a flower a baby's smile etc.. But the real training ground is life...living a life in accordance with God's Will and recognising this life as a beautiful gift and opportunity to share with each other.

Living a heart-centred life means that even though there are noises distractions work to do etc all around you, you CAN still be peaceful calm joyful and have all the virtues of a Child Of God :)

Being locked away from others it is too easy to be not facing challenges in your daily lives. You don't exactly have someone giving out to you, asking you to do things that you don't want etc...this just basically means IMO that you are running away from the very facility given to you to learn to Love one another. ie it is easy to love others when sitting in a cave and not interacting with others, yet it is a different facility to Choose Love over jealousy hatred anger resntment etc when you are faced with it.

The only True way IMO is to be living in your Heart where there is Joy and Love not in your Heads where there is anger jealousy, judgement of others, etc...so... You don't need to live in a cave to find peace, you just need to be in your Heart.

Love and Light

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

... I feel in this modern age things have shifted and changed where those aware of God's presence find him everywhere. ...
    Being locked away from others it is too easy to be not facing challenges in your daily lives. ...
    The only True way IMO is to be living in your Heart where there is Joy and Love not in your Heads where there is anger jealousy, judgement of others, etc...so... You don't need to live in a cave to find peace, you just need to be in your Heart.

No you don't need to live in a cave . most people don't. some people reject the material world. Last year was the first year in human history where more people lived in cities than outside them. Why should we have to? Living alone isn't living in your head. We all live in our head alone or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

Pax Christi

Blessings and peace
    Do I know you from another thread a couple of years back? The one-sentence paragraphs and the claim to superior wisdom ring a bell.

Advertisement