Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raymond Carver

Options
  • 15-04-2010 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what are peoples thoughts on Carver. His life story is inspirational. I think his short stories are intriguing and his poetry is not bad either. Hes not very very well known but his style is very like Hemingways-minimalistic.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Oh boy (rubs hands) where to begin?
    I absolutely love Raymond Carver. His short stories to me are a perfect example of the form. They are drenched in Americana and alcohol and hopelessness. Certainly not the most uplifting but to me are real and bonecrushingly honest.
    I have read a fair bit of Carver's stories and recently got the collected works that also contains "Beginners" the unedited text of "What we talk about when we talk about love" that was so famously edited by Gordon Lish and in fact Carver was often labelled a minimalist after this, unfairly I feel.
    Carver is the ultimate "man's writer". Hunting, working, drinking and desperation are at the heart of his stories.
    I like his poetry too and even have a first edition signed copy of "At night the salmon move".
    http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2007/12/24/071224fi_fiction_carver

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Hope to move on to him soon.

If you like this clear simple americana style, try Willie Vlautin's three books:
    • The Motel Life
    • Northline
    • Lean on Pete
    He is the singer in alt country group Richmond Fontaine and is very much influenced by Carver I understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mattyhislop

I picked up a copy of Cathedral a few years ago and after reading a few stories, I was just stunned. The stories seem so basic and the writing so simple but it's only after reading them do you realise how brilliant they are. I remember thinking "wow, I could write something like that" and I would say a lot of people felt the same. I suppose that is part of the genius behind it. I forget the name of the story but the one involving the baker and a cake is one of the most amazing pieces of fiction (short or otherwise) i've ever read.

Topper75, ive heard the Willie Vlautin comparison before. That book "Lean on Pete" got a great write up on RTE's website a few weeks ago.

It was after seeing another comparison between Carver and the music of the Blue Nile that I decided to buy a Blue Nile album. Def recommend them to Carver fans too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

This guy sounds very interesting! He has a number of short story collections, is there any one ye would advice me to start with?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mattyhislop

I haven't read any of his poetry so don't know about that.

For the short stories, two of his most famous collections are "Cathedral" and "What We Talk About When We Talk About Love". He's also got a greatest hits type collection that was chosen by him shortly before he died: "Where I'm Calling From: The Selected Stories".

Any of those are good places to start. Enjoy!

• Advertisement

I would second "Where I'm Calling From".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Only for his relatively short life and quite self-abusive one he could have been a hugely famous writer. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

He seems to get a big thumbs up here. I think I'll check out his short stories for my next read. Thanks Lit forum :)

yep - "Where I'm calling from" is the collection to get - he chose the selection himself.
    I think that he's very very good but he's also a bit over-rated - particularly amongst creative writing teachers! He is frequently presented as the Chekhov of the 20th century and has spawned many imitators of his terse and crisp style.
    Don't get me wrong - he's excellent but a little too bigged-up! I would also recommend Cheever and Hanif Kureishi's short stories if you like Carver. And Chekhov too of course - the master.

glasso wrote: »
    yep - "Where I'm calling from" is the collection to get - he chose the selection himself.
    I think that he's very very good but he's also a bit over-rated - particularly amongst creative writing teachers! He is frequently presented as the Chekhov of the 20th century and has spawned many imitators of his terse and crisp style.
    Don't get me wrong - he's excellent but a little too bigged-up! I would also recommend Cheever and Hanif Kureishi's short stories if you like Carver. And Chekhov too of course - the master.

His early stuff may be not great which is noted but his later work when he had time to really write is excellent and up there with the best. He captures a moment better than anybody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Thanks for the recommendation guys!

buck65, my girlfriend liked your enthusiasm so much she's already read some :D

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    His early stuff may be not great which is noted but his later work when he had time to really write is excellent and up there with the best. He captures a moment better than anybody.

I'm not and never have been a creative writing teacher! Are you?

No not a teacher;) Didnt really mean to bolden that bit of the quote. I'm just saying though he is set as the bar with Hemingway for minimalism, and dirty realism by a lot of academics.:)

I agree that he is certainly flavour of the month with writers and academics but I pay little attention to that because they are a fickle bunch indeed and he has as many detractors out there as fans.
    His poetry isn't actually considered "poetry" by many poets but more of a continiuation of his short stories.
    What often annoys me about the hype is that when you pick up a Carver story you almost expect to feel transported to another world, which rarely happens. In many ways Chekhov is the same as is Cheever and Wolff. It is the capturing of the quotidian that sets these writers apart from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭useurename

I picked up a copy of Cathedral a few years ago and after reading a few stories, I was just stunned. The stories seem so basic and the writing so simple but it's only after reading them do you realise how brilliant they are. I remember thinking "wow, I could write something like that" and I would say a lot of people felt the same. I suppose that is part of the genius behind it. I forget the name of the story but the one involving the baker and a cake is one of the most amazing pieces of fiction (short or otherwise) i've ever read.

I completely agree with you about the story of the baker.it is top class.i love his poetry also.i find it easy to read and i really look forward to re- reading it.

Advertisement