Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC showing classic F1 on the red button

Options
  • 15-04-2010 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

As the title says, anyone who has a sky box, BBC1 - Red Button - Sport Multiscreen

Currently watching the 1985 Portugese GP

Magic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

quick question:

I'm on Ntl/UPC Digital. I don't seem to be able to get the interactive up. Anyone able to confirm if this should be possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

quick question:

I'm on Ntl/UPC Digital. I don't seem to be able to get the interactive up. Anyone able to confirm if this should be possible?
    No it doesn't work (yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

The BBC do this from about the Wednesday before every race and did it throughout all of last year.

It's usually classic races from the venue or country that the next GP is from.

BBC's coverage is first class between the classics and all the practice sessions, qualifying and race shown on a loop and the highlights package.

Now if they could only get rid of Jonathan Legard....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

smooch71 wrote: »
    The BBC do this from about the Wednesday before every race and did it throughout all of last year.

It's usually classic races from the venue or country that the next GP is from.

BBC's coverage is first class between the classics and all the practice sessions, qualifying and race shown on a loop and the highlights package.

Now if they could only get rid of Jonathan Legard....

If only!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

The BBC's red button bits are fantastic to watch when there's nout else on. Even the rolling race replays and highlights throughout the week are great.

Ahhhh, the memories. :)

• Advertisement

If only!

I think Legard has turned into James Allen.

The guy can't string a sentence together without the words "Lewis" and "Hamilton"

Starting to get very irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭Blue850

For those with a Free to Air satellite. search for channels Stream-0 to Stream-6 on Astra 28.8 , its the BBC red button options as seperate channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,514 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Blue850 wrote: »
    For those with a Free to Air satellite. search for channels Stream-0 to Stream-6 on Astra 28.8 , its the BBC red button options as seperate channels.

What exactly does that mean??
    is the red button not working this week??
    I havent got anything on my Freesat system :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

ATM the red button is all snooker, I think someone said above that they show the classic F1's from about the preceeding wednesday of a F1 weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,514 ✭✭✭✭vectra

dnme wrote: »
    ATM the red button is all snooker, I think someone said above that they show the classic F1's from about the preceeding wednesday of a F1 weekend.

Ah.
    Bloody Hell..
    What was I thinking..
    I was certain the Spanish Gp was this weekend :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

I think Legard has turned into James Allen.

The guy can't string a sentence together without the words "Lewis" and "Hamilton"

Starting to get very irritating.

Thats not what makes him a sh*te commentator though, he is just rubbish whether or not he mentions Hamilton. Commentators shouldnt be allowed to move from radio to TV commentary :(.

Also the classic races are all about 10min long highlights from what Ive seen, no wonder the forum is full of old boys remembering the exciting days of F1:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

me@ucd wrote: »
    Also the classic races are all about 10min long highlights from what Ive seen, no wonder the forum is full of old boys remembering the exciting days of F1:rolleyes:

At least they're showing em, no other channel ever did. Also bear in mind AFAIK Ecclestone owns all the rights to those and charges a bloody fortune for em (don't get me started on him, thats a whole other disaster).

Slightly OT but I love the BBC coverage of the races, you get 2.5 hours on Saturday, great race build up and loads more interviews and analysis after the race on the red button. Oh and one more thing, there are NO AD Breaks every 7 minutes.

We never had it so good.

Thats not what makes him a sh*te commentator though, he is just rubbish whether or not he mentions Hamilton. Commentators shouldnt be allowed to move from radio to TV commentary :(.

Well to be fair, his pathetic biase towards Hamilton is a big part of what makes him a bad commentator
    And I'm not too sure what your comment about old boys remembering the exciting days of F1 is about, but I think you're possibly missing a point somewhere along the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

but I think you're possibly missing a point somewhere along the line.

au contraire! ;)
    basically the way *everyone* says
    "the races were great and action filled (more so) than the 90's 00's"
    well if you watch the highlights on the classic F1 you would get that impression alright :)

</end OT>

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

They show one race in its entirity and highlights of the other four. They conduct a poll as to which race to show as the 'feature' and then have 10 mins, or so, showing the other four

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

au contraire! ;)
    well if you watch the highlights on the classic F1 you would get that impression alright :)

</end OT>

Think you've missed a thread or two, over the last 6 months if that's the impression you're getting.

au contraire! ;)

</end OT>

You're talking sh1te mate.

Theres no rose tinted glasses here.

Nobody on this thread has said anything remotely along the lines of F1 being better in the old days. People who love the support and have a genuine interest in it will always enjoy watching highlights so I really don't see what the hell your problem is.

Here's a link to a thread discussing what you're talking about

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055865431

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I was suprised he was still commentating this year to be honest but he is still better than Allen though.

Hmmm, only just...

Hmmm, only just...

He was always a terrible commentator. He sounds like he should be commentating on horse racing or something.

But at least last year the Hamilton and McLaren hero worship was no where near as evident as it is this year.

And he seems to be getting great pleasure from Schumachers lack of results since his comeback. No matter what logical explanations Brundle gives him.

Regardless of what country he's from, he should show some level of profressionalism. And he doesn't.

Brundle on the other hand is an excellent commentator and his genuine love for Formula 1 is clear, regardless of who he's talking about.

He was always a terrible commentator. He sounds like he should be commentating on horse racing or something.

But at least last year the Hamilton and McLaren hero worship was no where near as evident as it is this year.

And he seems to be getting great pleasure from Schumachers lack of results since his comeback. No matter what logical explanations Brundle gives him.

Regardless of what country he's from, he should show some level of profressionalism. And he doesn't.

Brundle on the other hand is an excellent commentator and his genuine love for Formula 1 is clear, regardless of who he's talking about.

You've hit the nail on the head there. Granted Schumacher's comeback has been a bit disappointing so far but its still relatively early days yet so i wouldn't be writing him off at all.

+1 about Brundle too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I haven't had to listen to Legard since getting Sky last year, apart from once. Might have to do it again tomorrow though. Painful stuff. Substituting Maurice Hamilton for Ant on the red button while he's not there isn't a winning solution either.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Solberg2005

Noticed about a week ago that im after losing all my bbc red button streams. I have the lidl freeview dish and had these streams from day one till last week. Anyone able to shine more light on why i lost these? Raging at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,302 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

you need to retune the box. bbc had some info up on the interactive page about needing to retune although it doesnt effect most people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

The BBC have annoyed me a little recently with their Classic F1 coverage on the Red button. I think last week they said the races would be shown between the Korean practice sessions on the Friday, which meant they were on between about 2.30am and 5am in the morning.

Could they not have them on repeat during normal hours too and for longer?

Advertisement