Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair Products

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

stop washing your hair so much, you are stripping it of all the natural oils, which is making it dry and frizzy.

your hair is then overcompensating which is why it is greasy.

dont wash your hair for about 4 weeks, after that wash once a week max.

i wash my hair once every 3 weeks, the hairdresser always comments about the great condition of my hair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

irishbird wrote: »
    stop washing your hair so much, you are stripping it of all the natural oils, which is making it dry and frizzy.

your hair is then overcompensating which is why it is greasy.

dont wash your hair for about 4 weeks, after that wash once a week max.

i wash my hair once every 3 weeks, the hairdresser always comments about the great condition of my hair
    4 weeks?:eek: My hair is bad after a few days, let alone a few weeks!

Also, when I do wash it, I wash it in luke-warm water and finish it off with cold water. When I blow-dry it, I use cold air. I rarely use the hair-straightener.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

stop blowing your hair and using loads of products on it.

leave your hair alone for 4 weeks and let it recover.

the more you wash your hair, the more you have.

normal hair is self-cleaning, you are not allowing your hair to repair its self.

i have extremely thick, curly hair. i rarely blow dry it or use excessive amounts of products on it and its perfect.

just leave it alone - at least try a week without stressing it, just keep it tied back

irishbird wrote: »
    stop blowing your hair and using loads of products on it.

leave your hair alone for 4 weeks and let it recover.

the more you wash your hair, the more you have.

normal hair is self-cleaning, you are not allowing your hair to repair its self.

i have extremely thick, curly hair. i rarely blow dry it or use excessive amounts of products on it and its perfect.

just leave it alone - at least try a week without stressing it, just keep it tied back
    Thank you.

I forgot to mention previously, I don't use all those products at once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

If you leave the conditioner in for an hour its gonna dry into your hair and then by you rinsing it out its still gonna be in the hair! you should be shampooing it out!

If a treatment says leave for 10 -15 minutes - Leave it at that! Dont leave for an hour because it starts going back on itself and can damage your hair! Joico included!

Wash your hair once a week - use dry shampoo on the days it looks greasy, My own hair used to be the same until I stopped washing it everyday and used dry shampoo everyday now instead! My hair is washed once twice at max!

• Advertisement

If you leave the conditioner in for an hour its gonna dry into your hair and then by you rinsing it out its still gonna be in the hair! you should be shampooing it out!

If a treatment says leave for 10 -15 minutes - Leave it at that! Dont leave for an hour because it starts going back on itself and can damage your hair! Joico included!

Wash your hair once a week - use dry shampoo on the days it looks greasy, My own hair used to be the same until I stopped washing it everyday and used dry shampoo everyday now instead! My hair is washed once twice at max!
    Thank you.

What dry shampoo do you recommend? I have never used it and don't know anything about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

Thank you.

What dry shampoo do you recommend? I have never used it and don't know anything about it.

All chemists usually have it - cant think of the name now but they come in green, pink and yellow bottles! they are only about 3 euro :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

batiste dry shampoo is fab - plus its the cheapest one!. They even have a coloured one now for drak hair which is great as it does not have the greyish hue to it.

I have greasy roots and I wash my hair about every second day. I would never put sonditioner on the roots as it will be greasy the next day on me!

Thanks everyone.

I'll get the dry shampoo in town during the week and see how it goes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

batiste dry shampoo is fab - plus its the cheapest one!. They even have a coloured one now for drak hair which is great as it does not have the greyish hue to it.

I have greasy roots and I wash my hair about every second day. I would never put sonditioner on the roots as it will be greasy the next day on me!
    Yeah, that dry shampoo is great.. especially if your hair looks fine but you have a fringe which is looking a bit limp.
    I only wash my hair once a week because it's very very long and it's not in too bas condition- as Dark Phoenix has said, NEVER condition your roots, only the ends!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭carrot_flowers

Hey,

I have long, thick hair. It's dry at the ends and tends to break easily. It also get very knotty, regardless of how many times I brush it...

Hi Purple_Bobbin,
    I don't know if these products are sold here in Ireland but I would recommend long-term relationship shampoo+conditioner by Herbal Essences, they worked wonders when I had long knotty hair. Also, I would recommend that you regularly get the ends of your hair trimmed-with long hair this is necessary about every 6 weeks to keep it healthy. You'll have less split ends as well as knots. Try towel drying when you can too, blow dryers can fray hairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

OMG :eek: I'm not the only one with mad hair like that!!! Now I can get away for a couple of days without washing it tho.

I've changed over to Tresemme now & I have to say it is slightly more easier to brush & it isn't breaking as much. My hair has been like that for as long as I can remember. When it does start breaking at the ends on me it's usually a sign that it's well due a trim!

All irishbird says I've heard of before from people telling me when they were young their sisters coming back from boarding school with the most to die for hair cos they never got to wash it in the schools..... wish I could try it out to but.... Me I can't go with washing my hair just once a week as it's manky after 2-3 days with dust & fumes!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Hey,

I have long, thick hair. It's dry at the ends and tends to break easily. It also get very knotty, regardless of how many times I brush it.

No matter what I try I always seem to have greasy hair. It's getting to the stage where I'll have to wash my hair every day, and as we have to wash our hair in the kitchen sink (it would take about 4 hours using the shower), it's a bit of a nuisance. I usually wash my hair every two days. I leave the conditioner on for about 1 hours, sometimes longer sometimes less than an hour.

Can anyone recommend anything please?

Thank you!

I have these same problems. I've found that conditioner is what gets my hair sop greasy so i'll only use it on my ends where it gets badly tangled! Don't have much other advice apart from have you tried getting your hair thinned every so often?! Helps alot in my case!

Sorry I can't help more!

Advertisement