Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is a good moisturiser or good cleanser better?

Options
  • 15-04-2010 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

Hiya if you were going to spend money on a good cleanser or a good moisturiser which would you get? I cant afford both so have to choose which is going to be more beneficial...thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Moisturiser - keeping your skin hydrated is essential. You can use any auld thing to clean your face (but avoid harsh products like soap) - keeping it exfoliated will ensure maximum benefits from moisturiser too. I don't actually use cleanser other than to take off make-up. I use a very mild exfoliator which doubles up as a cleanser. No need to use it all the time though, so otherwise I use a mild facial wash.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭jellybeans

Dudess wrote: »
    Moisturiser - keeping your skin hydrated is essential. You can use any auld thing to clean your face (but avoid harsh products like soap) - keeping it exfoliated will ensure maximum benefits from moisturiser too. I don't actually use cleanser other than to take off make-up. I use a very mild exfoliator which doubles up as a cleanser. No need to use it all the time though, so otherwise I use a mild facial wash.

ye i thought the same, i use a clean and clear daily exfoliater and a boots cleanser depending on which i am in the mood to use but wanted to get some new good products. I didn't know whether it was better to splash out on cleansing stuff or a really good moisturiser?? i think the moisturiser though myself too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 partyfeet

A lot of stuff you have in your fridge can be used as a natural deep cleanser ,
    mix a spoonful of honey with an egg and apply to your face ,,leave to dry a
    few minutes and then rinse with warm water . If you have time Google
    ** natural cleansers ** ,,,,you will be amazed !!!good luck . :).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I'd be the opposite - my cleanser is far more important than my moisturiser. In fact, my skin is quite oily so I don't even bother wearing moisturizer most of the time - I certainly don't need it.

On the other hand, if I use any old cleanser I break out in spots like you wouldn't believe. Lately I've been using the Body Shop's tea tree oil facial cleanser with a boots exfoliating sponge. Yes, daily. Yes, my skin is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I'd say it depends on your skin. If you have great skin you can probably get away with a cheaper cleanser. However the cheaper cleansers don't properly clean your skin and take all the makeup and grime off. I use Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish which I find fantastic and much better than a cream that you remove with cotton wool.

Personally, I spend money on both a good cleanser and a good moisturiser. I buy online so I save money compared to shop prices.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 partyfeet

Oh , forgot . You will need to cleans twice if wearing
    makeup . Saw that advice on the afternoon show rte
    last week ,,,,makes sense too imo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I never really bother with a cleanser - maybe an exfoliating scrub once or twice a week. Moisturiser is far more important to me.

Showering and splashing my face with water keeps it clean. Don't see the need for chemicals when water will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I'd prefer a good cleanser. No point slapping some amazing moisturiser on dirty skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

I'd use a budget cleanser and put my money into a moisturiser if I had to choose. Cleanser stays on your face for only a few moments, but your moisturiser stays on all day.

You can get good cleansers cheaply - I like Garnier ones - they do the same job as an expensive one if you're thorough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭punkindrublic

I invest in a good cleanser and good moisturiser, I think they're both equally important.
    If I had to choose between both I would go for a good moisturiser. I have really dry skin for most of the year (October-April) so moisturiser is essential unless i want my dry areas to look all flaky! Plus I moisturize before I put on foundation & it makes a huge difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Xiney wrote: »
    I'd be the opposite - my cleanser is far more important than my moisturiser. In fact, my skin is quite oily so I don't even bother wearing moisturizer most of the time - I certainly don't need it.

On the other hand, if I use any old cleanser I break out in spots like you wouldn't believe. Lately I've been using the Body Shop's tea tree oil facial cleanser with a boots exfoliating sponge. Yes, daily. Yes, my skin is ridiculous.

You probably already know this, so apologies, but I've always been told that harsh cleansing like that can "overactivate" (prob not the right word) the sebaceous glands, producing more oil and setting things into a vicious cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Thoie wrote: »
    You probably already know this, so apologies, but I've always been told that harsh cleansing like that can "overactivate" (prob not the right word) the sebaceous glands, producing more oil and setting things into a vicious cycle.

I agree. Using this routine without moisturiser will in fact make the skin more oily as it will overcompensate due to it being stripped of its oil daily.

Advertisement