Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help for my dying hedge.

Options
  • 15-04-2010 7:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

please some information or advice on my 30 foot griselinia hedge which i think has died , is there any food or anything i can do with it,as i need my hedge as a boundary wall. how long will it stay standing before it collapses completely. thanks:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Foleyart

A little more information perhaps could help, a photo, general area as regards frost this year etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Foleyart wrote: »
    A little more information perhaps could help, a photo, general area as regards frost this year etc.
    doubt you lost all that, just leaves got frozen and killed, try a good general fertaliser, do so before next rainfall

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭jamesd

I have the same hedging and alot of the leafs on them are gone brown, what would a good safe fertilizer be for this type of hedging?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 caroline200465

hey all,

thanks for the reply everyone who replied.. here's a picture of me hedge, if it helps anyone give me some advice..

sorry for the delay :)

ta :)

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

Several people down this way have seen their hebe hedges appear to die, but one knowing neighbour is pouring water and chicken manure under his. If they've been established a few years, they can take a bit of killing.
    I hope you had a happy birthday last week (?) and your hedge will come back. :)

• Advertisement

thank u and will give it a feed of chick manure, but alas still maintain it is dead, trimmed too late and frost got it :eek: hubby knew what he was doing lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

thank u and will give it a feed of chick manure, but alas still maintain it is dead, trimmed too late and frost got it :eek: hubby knew what he was doing lol

Could be the case. But I found from experience that some plants that seem dead may not always be the case. Have you tried to peel of some of the bark closer to the main stems to see if there is any green. Also check to see if there is any small new buds starting to open nearer the main stems. Shrubs have dorment buds that will kick into action when needed and Shrubs that are used for hedging will be some of the most likely to recover quickly. Hence why they are used for hedging. All may not be lost yet. With a little bit of care you may still be able save the hedge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Could be the case. But I found from experience that some plants that seem dead may not always be the case. Have you tried to peel of some of the bark closer to the main stems to see if there is any green. Also check to see if there is any small new buds starting to open nearer the main stems. Shrubs have dorment buds that will kick into action when needed and Shrubs that are used for hedging will be some of the most likely to recover quickly. Hence why they are used for hedging. All may not be lost yet. With a little bit of care you may still be able save the hedge.
    i would also do that, then you will see that all it need is a feed of general fertaliser,

• Registered Users Posts: 43 e17

please some information or advice on my 30 foot griselinia hedge which i think has died , is there any food or anything i can do with it,as i need my hedge as a boundary wall. how long will it stay standing before it collapses completely. thanks:confused:

All griselinia within 5 miles of Tullow Carlow has died off after the severe frosts. Has anyone seen any signs of recovery. How long should you give before replacing it? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭networks

my grisilenia are like carolines,just bare stalkes,no green in the bark,they are prob dead,will dig out roots 2moro and replace with privet which is a tough little shrub,bloody frost..........................................................

• Advertisement

no sign of any life from hedge after all my efforts:mad:, thinking of putting up timber fence instead but dread the expense right now, what is the fastest growing hedge,and can i plant new hedge in between the roots of the old roots.less work the better for me:confused: thanks

understand how u feel abt frost, now new problem with slugs....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,672 ✭✭✭flutered

try cutting it down to 2ft apply fertiliser to the base then wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Bodicea

I have a fair bit of griselina in my garden, some of it was almost 15ft. I cut a lot of them right back to the butt, in the hope I could get rid of them cos I want to a change of scenery. But this last couple of weks the stumps that were left are bursting back into life. Given when you posted your OP if its not sprouting new shoots by now it may well be dead, but like the rhoddedendroms they're damned hard to kill off.

Advertisement