Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protest at Leinster House-Interested?

Options
  • 15-04-2010 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I'm pretty sick of bitching about stuff and listening to others about it. It's time that we do something productive about it and let them know how unhappy we are about things.

Looking to see if people are interested or just apathetic about it all

What date soon would work for most?

List your issues?
    I have many but want to hear some of yours.

I'm extremely patriotic and think Ireland is a very unique country but our Goverments have being destroying it for the last 2 decades and missing out on a glorious chance we had to make our country fantastic. It needs to change to what the people want and not what the FF/FG, Bankers, Developers want us to want with their bull propganda

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Teclo

But you're just going to Leinster House to continue the bitching :confused:

And besides, its that Elderfield chap thats running the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

I'd be there in a flash but your in the wrong place looking for people to protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Citizen_Cutback

I think that it is individual protests that will do it this time.

We need one person outside the GPO instead of the Dail with a placard asking honest questions like:

Seanie Whichever what should we do now?

The likes of Seanie Fitzpatrick, Sean Quinn, Sean Dunne, Sean Mulryan etc... have in effect been formulating Government Policy for too long!

Mary, Mary quite contrary why does your pardon grow?

Mary Harney and Mary Coughlan have to be two of the most ineffective Government Ministers ever. They both operate solely in the realms of Spin.

It is amazing that a couple of centenary's are coming up shortly:

2013: the 100 anniversary of the Dublin Lockout orchestrated by William Martin Murphy, the owner of the Irish Independant in 1913. What does Sir Tony Baloney intend to do to the workers by 2013 with the continuous Public Sector v Private Sector propaganda from the Independent Group?

2016: 100th anniversary of 1916 rebellion. Maybe we should be like the French who are in their 5th Republic in slightly over 200 years.

It is a pity that the Opposition are stuck with Enda Kenny! Being from the Marian county he gives in too much to his feminine side. Enda is a proper Mary.

Enda, leave the Seanad alone and stop the waffling!

Brian Cowen hasn't an idea in his head and if he did he would be too lazy to put them into action in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

MarMul wrote: »
    I'm pretty sick of bitching about stuff and listening to others about it. It's time that we do something productive about it and let them know how unhappy we are about things.

List your issues?

I'm extremely patriotic and think Ireland is a very unique country but our Goverments have being destroying it for the last 2 decades and missing out on a glorious chance we had to make our country fantastic. It needs to change to what the people want and not what the FF/FG, Bankers, Developers want us to want with their bull propganda

That's a real "Down with this sort of thing" proposal: come join in a protest, but bring your own grievances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Protest at Leinster House-Interested?

only if its in the bar there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

List your issues?

Have you tried actually writing to your TDs with your concerns? Irish people have a tendency to let their TDs off the hook by simply not contacting them in the assumption that it's a waste of time. TDs are there to represent our wishes...if they don't do what you ask them to do, vote for someone who will. A TD receiving 100 letters about an issue (public servant slackers not answering phones for example) is a LOT more effective than ranting and raving around the place with placards. TDs are simply not contacted enough, so they take the piss. Time for the Irish public to demand more from our elected representatives.

When was the last time you wrote to your TD? I had an interesting debate (argument) with one yesterday per email. If you don't engage in the system by voting and contacting TDs, you have no right to go marching and blocking up the streets IMO.

If every citizen wrote a letter to Cowen tomorrow and demanded (for example) that Patrick Neary's pension was withdrawn, it would be done, I absolutely guarantee you. They get away with it because people grumble down the pub, rather than putting their feelings in black and white and communicating them in a reasonable manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Murphaph, I wrote to my TD a few weeks ago, after you suggested it in the Patrick Neary thread.

I received a response from the constituency office the following day, but I've not received any response from the TD, although I believe there was a death in the family to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

fair play dannyboy, doesn't matter if they don't reply, so long as people are writing to them about things that matter (I don't mean stuff like "there's a pothole on my road", that is for the council to deal with not a TD from the national parliament). If you wrote to them, they will feel the pressure, and if enough people write to them, the pressure will become unbearable until they have to act. This is how "normal" democracies work...Ireland just hasn't developed it yet.

I'd go with a big massive banner proclaiming that I'm fully expecting the government to act tough with the ps/unions once they reject the deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

there arent any protests cause most people still have it pretty good
    boards is a very vocal minority

Advertisement