Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dooner family

Options
  • 15-04-2010 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

My interest is my family history my gr. Grandfather was John Dooner from Ballyonacormick Kenagh Co. Longford he was born c1846 he moved to Dublin and joined the Dublin Metropolitan Police in1867 he Married Ellen ? Also from Longford 1879 she states she is a widow on their marriage certificate he passed away 1915 in Dublin they had five children their daughter Kathleen was my grand mother the link below is his house hold in 1911
    if any one recognise this family or can help I would really appreciate it

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Pembroke_West/Barrow_St_/63966/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

Don't know if they're related (but small county and same name) but there are Dooners who run the Chectnut Tree in Killashee.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 dooner

Plopsu wrote: »
    Don't know if they're related (but small county and same name) but there are Dooners who run the Chectnut Tree in Killashee.

Thanks for that info I will look into it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mosstown

Yes Gerry Dooner owns the Chestnut Tree Pub in Killashee village and is also a farmer. There are also plenty of Dooner's living around Keenagh village. Seamus Dooner comes to mind.

Plopsu wrote: »
    mosstown wrote: »
    Yes Gerry Dooner owns the Chestnut Tree Pub in Killashee village and is also a farmer. There are also plenty of Dooner's living around Keenagh village. Seamus Dooner comes to mind.

Again thank you for the info I have tried to look up the Pub but can’t find any contact details would you be able to let me have the full address or email address so I can get a message to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mosstown

you have the address ! ie. Gerry Dooner, Chestnut Tree Pub, Killashee, Co. Longford. that's it, there is not much else there apart from another pub called Magan's. you could also send a letter addressed to the Dooner family, Keenagh, Co. Longford and I am sure it will get delivered to one of them as I wouldn't know the exact townland but Keenagh is not a big place.
    Suggest you go for a visit sometime and ask around the older locals.
    There are also some Dooners in the tel directory.
    www.eircomphonebook.ie

• Advertisement

Thanks I will get letters out tomorrow I hope to visit the area one day
    I found out last year how helpful people can be when you’re researching family
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Knappogue House

I chat to Gerry Dooner ( the kennagh one ) on a regulaer basis , I will quiz him up next time on his family history and let you know

I chat to Gerry Dooner ( the kennagh one ) on a regulaer basis , I will quiz him up next time on his family history and let you know

Thank you that’s very kind I have written to the families as advised and I am waiting to see of they have time to reply but any information would be great x :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 chumpster

Hi There
    If you still need further information relating to your family tree, you should contact Gerry Dooner, Lisbrack, Kenagh, Co. Longford :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I dunno if he'd be related, but there is a Willy Dooner lives not too far from me, he's in the Moate Farrell area I think it's callled.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 suzanne_brady

I no Dooners from killoe.

chumpster wrote: »
    Hi There
    If you still need further information relating to your family tree, you should contact Gerry Dooner, Lisbrack, Kenagh, Co. Longford :)
    Denny M wrote: »
    I dunno if he'd be related, but there is a Willy Dooner lives not too far from me, he's in the Moate Farrell area I think it's callled.
    I no Dooners from killoe.

Sorry for my delay in answering your response's to my request for help
    I have written as suggested above but either had my letter returned or had no response so if you are able to ask the Dooners if they are interested in their family history I would be very grateful for any help

• Registered Users Posts: 2 charles21

the Ellen that John Dooner married in Dublin was Ellen McLouglin who had been married to Patrick McL. before marrying him she was Eleanor McCann of Newtownforbes- my grand aunt !!
    regards Chas McCann

charles21 wrote: »
    the Ellen that John Dooner married in Dublin was Ellen McLouglin who had been married to Patrick McL. before marrying him she was Eleanor McCann of Newtownforbes- my grand aunt !!
    regards Chas McCann

Hi Chas
    Thank you for your reply did Ellen have any children by her first marriage? How long was she married?
    Regards

charles21 wrote: »
    regards Chas McCann

Hi Chas
    Thank you for your reply did Ellen have any children by her first marriage? How long was she married?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 charles21

Ellen was born about 1857 and married Patrick McLoughlin on 21/1/1877. A Mary Ellen McLoughlin was born on 24/12/1877. But cannot finfd any trace of her afterwards .
    Do you know of any names of Johns parents ,brothers or sisters ?When he died in his will , worth about £66 , his executor was Bridget Murphy one of his daughters who had married a richard Murphy in 1912. Do you know who his other children married -if they did ?
    Regards Charles McCann

The information I have about this couple is a bad copy of their marriage cert. his fathers name looks like Jas Dooner Farmer hers look like Michael McCann Farmer both deceased I have the family living in Barrow Street Dublin 1901 their children listed as Lizzie18 Kathern (should be Kathleen) 17 my paternal grand mother Anne 14 Bridie 9 John 5 John is a pensioner Kathleen and Lizzie are dress makers
    John Dooner Died 21st Dec 1915
    I found a record of another child born just after they were married but can’t find that info at the moment (I presume it did not survive)

Kathleen married John Murphy 22nd November 1903 living at 10 and 1 Barrow Street his father is also John Murphy her mothers name is on the cert. not her fathers (I presume her father did not approve him)
    Kathleen d1955 Dublin John Murphy d1929 (Well terrace) Naas Died St Josephs Naas
    Their children
    Elizabeth (Lilly) b1905 d1977 John (Mex) b1907 d1987 Kathleen (Kitty) 1908 d1989 Patrick (my Father B1913 d1984) living at 15 Barrow Street Dublin Mary b1917 d1947Bridget (Bridie) d1971 Anthonyd1971/2 Patricia (Pansy) b1913 d1985
    Lots of information if you need anything else let me know I have a list of where John Dooner was station while he was in the Police

dooner wrote: »
    The information I have about this couple is a bad copy of their marriage cert. his fathers name looks like Jas Dooner Farmer hers look like Michael McCann Farmer both deceased I have the family living in Barrow Street Dublin 1901 their children listed as Lizzie18 Kathern (should be Kathleen) 17 my paternal grand mother Anne 14 Bridie 9 John 5 John is a pensioner Kathleen and Lizzie are dress makers
    John Dooner Died 21st Dec 1915
    I found a record of another child born just after they were married but can’t find that info at the moment (I presume it did not survive)

Kathleen married John Murphy 22nd November 1903 living at 10 and 1 Barrow Street his father is also John Murphy her mothers name is on the cert. not her fathers (I presume her father did not approve him)
    Kathleen d1955 Dublin John Murphy d1929 (Well terrace) Naas Died St Josephs Naas
    Their children
    Elizabeth (Lilly) b1905 d1977 John (Mex) b1907 d1987 Kathleen (Kitty) 1908 d1989 Patrick (my Father B1913 d1984) living at 15 Barrow Street Dublin Mary b1917 d1947Bridget (Bridie) d1971 Anthonyd1971/2 Patricia (Pansy) b1923 d1985
    Lots of information if you need anything else let me know I have a list of where John Dooner was station while he was in the Police

Advertisement