Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Whitney Houston is Back on Stage Live

Options
  • 15-04-2010 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Did you hear that? Whitney is back on stage singing her most famous songs. Yes, I know her performance was not the best last Tuesday night in Birmingham but she is still one of the most charismatic singers I have ever heard. I listened to her performance of “I Will Always Love You” and I was astonished by her interpretation of the original version (originally written by Dolly Parton) of the same song.
    That made me think of all the options that you have when you are arranging a song, or just playing it on the guitar. First of all you have to be aware of what you can do with your voice. Then you must spend enough time playing around with the melody until you own it. When I am learning a new song on the guitar I always listen to more than one version and only then I sit down to see what I can do with it.
    Of course, knowing the basic chord changes is key, but then you must feel totally free to use your material, whether it be a particular chord whose inversion you like or a rhythmic accompaniment that you feel works for you. Forget about what your friends might say...just enjoy playing with the basic structure of the tune and see where it leads too.
    This can be applied to soloing as well! Many young guitar players who are still learning how to play a solo on the guitar spend lots of time copying the solos of their guitar heroes. That’s ok, but as you progress, you must let your creativity take over and eventually develop your style.
    I still love to spend some time studying lines and arrangements of my favorite guitar players. These days, I am studying lots of lines from a Joe Pass’ transcription book and I feel funny when I play those exact licks that made him so famous. But then, I start to noodle around and eventually find my way to Include those ideas into my personal style. After over 20 years I still am passionate about exploring my guitar as if it was the first time I was playing it.
    In conclusion, I want to thank Whitney Houston for reminding me that it’s essential to learn as many styles as possible and never define yourself as a jazz, soul, country or classical player. Ironically, your interest for many styles of music will make you sound like nobody else and will keep playing the guitar a lot of fun.

Advertisement