Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blackout Blinds

• 15-04-2010 12:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭

Hi, with the longer sunny days I'm looking for a plain blackout roller blind. I tried Argos but the nearest fit is 60" for my 58" window. It says trim to fit but I've tried this before and the result looks horrible.

I'd be willing to pay more to have a blind professionally cut. Is there an online place to order them to custom size? I would expect this to be < €50 (Argos was €13.50). Is that budget remotely realistic? Doesn't seem like a roll of plastic should cost as much as many of the online blinds places want.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭pearljamfan

do you have curtains on the window as well?? because you can buy lining that just clips on the back of them if u do.

its not a difficult job cutting a roller blind though, anyone with a small hacksaw can do it, maybe you should try again! i cant see how it would look horrible unless you did a really botched job on it before :p

harry corry and hickeys used to do made to measure blinds, so maybe try somewhere local to you that sells fabric etc but i expect it would cost more than 50€.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

newkie wrote: »
    Hi, with the longer sunny days I'm looking for a plain blackout roller blind. I tried Argos but the nearest fit is 60" for my 58" window. It says trim to fit but I've tried this before and the result looks horrible.

I'd be willing to pay more to have a blind professionally cut. Is there an online place to order them to custom size? I would expect this to be < €50 (Argos was €13.50). Is that budget remotely realistic? Doesn't seem like a roll of plastic should cost as much as many of the online blinds places want.

I'd say you'd expect to pay anything from €70-€100 depending on the drop and fabric to have one made.

Trimming those readymade ones isnt too bad at all, lay it out on the floor unrolled and mark lightly with a pencil and ruler where u want to cut, then cut the cloth with a good sharp scissors, never hacksaw through the cloth. Once the cloth is to size trim the bar at the top with a hacksaw. Theyre handy enough, just take your time with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

simply red is right. Spend money on a good fabric scissors (not the regular one in your drawer) and mark it out well. a few minutes preparation in making sure your marking out is up to scratch is worth it in the long run. and while cutting the material of a blackout blind properly shouldn't lead to visible fraying, get some clear nail varnish and apply it slightly to the cut edge just to seal the whole thing up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 katyjo

Hi, I bought one for our nursery from www.b4i.ie its just plain cream colour nothing fancy it cost €91 though but our windows are quite big, it does a great job though.

You can get an instant quote just by choosing the blinds & then putting in your measurements.

HTH

KJx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 traceycl28

It all depends on how long you want the blind to last and if it will get alot of heavy duty useage. We bought a cuople for our bedroom here - blackout blinds as we wanted a very specific colour and size. It was more than a cut and trim one but then you have to pay a bit more if you want what you want i guess!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

I hate those readymade blinds, you're better off getting one made to measure so it'll fit perfectly

Your profile says you're in galway, I'd recommend Galway Curtain & Blind centre, it's beside Arabica across from wecare pharmacy in Liosbaun industrial estate. Martin is the owner and he is always there.

Great selection (although I'd say just go for plain colour it'll be cheapest) and martin is lovely, got full house of blinds done with him.

Bring in your measurements and he'll quote you straight away

Alternatively, Hickeys homefocus in wellpark do readymade blackout lining that you attach to curtains but they don't look great. I put them on my bedroom curtains but they were polyester (light fabric) so didn't hang well at all

Good luck!

Advertisement