Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with paint choice

• 15-04-2010 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi, we are currently trying to repaint some of the rooms in our house & have decided i want a warm cream colour, i have tried a few samples but some of them are a very cold/grey colour on the wall compared to the colour charts. Can anyone suggest one as my head is wrecked. Also can you suggest a good type/brand that will wear well but not cost a comlpete fortune as we dont have a lot of cash to play around with, thanks a mil in advance :)

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

good old magnolia

just redone my sitting and hall. ten litres of woodies own brand e11

used it on my walls 6 years ago, and used it again this time around

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 dolalu

I would suggest Fleetwood paints, really hard waring and cheaper than the likes of Dulux and crown..B&Q from what i have seen have the best range and look to be the cheapest for paint in general

just a question, what is the colour of the wall you are painting onto...light creams are quite see through so if you have a darker colour underneath it can change the colour when compared to the colour chart. You might want to white wash underneath it if that was the case with just a cheap white emulsion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭ninjaBob

Woodies have 20% of Dulux EasyCare & Moda ranges.

I've been using ColorTrend for our main living areas and find it very easy to work with. It's €82 for a 10 litre bucket which is expensive but I've found it alot easier to work with Dulux and the colors turn out exactly as they look on the color cards

I did buy some cheap Crown / Fleetwood paints and found that I had to apply 2 - 3 coats where the ColorTrend only required a single coat. (I had already done my sealer coat....)

In terms of colours

Dulux : Creme Brulee
    ColorTrend : Maple Pecan

Turned out very nice

Tempting Taupe, Pale Mink from Dulux also look nice.

The big problem with paint is you get exactly what you pay for, if you think that the colors look dull and lifeless then you should pay for some paint which has more pigments.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 headstar23

can anyone tell me where i can get the best priced paint now?Thanx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kingpigeon6

headstar23 wrote: »
    can anyone tell me where i can get the best priced paint now?Thanx

hi there, I can PM you my recommendation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭Kitchen Expert

Orchid white is a lovely bright clean colour. It's very neutral and I think it is nicer than magnolia.

Maybe you're looking for something a bit deeper in colour. If so take a look at Cream Suede from Crown. It looks like a nice warm colour.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I got a lovely cream from Dulux, its called Venetian Cream. Got it in satinwood for the woodwork originally to go with a kitchen, but have since got a 10 litre tub of the trade matt white mixed to this colour to paint a hall, stairs and landing, great value and looks fab. Think it cost €38 in local hardware shop as the white was on offer(€35?) and they mixed it for me. Its only temporary to cover a messy, dirty wall, but is so bright and warm looking I may leave it for a while.

The big 10ltr trade only comes in matt, but it has great coverage.

hi there, I can PM you my recommendation

please do kingpigeon6!:)

also can anyone recommend good utensils to use when painting in a house?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Dust sheets (plenty of them), masking tape, Caulk for tops of skirtings etc, Red Devil Onetime filler, 9 inch med roller, 2 inch PX brush for cutting in, filling knife, sanding pad, a good oil paint brush.

• Advertisement

Dust sheets (plenty of them), masking tape, Caulk for tops of skirtings etc, Red Devil Onetime filler, 9 inch med roller, 2 inch PX brush for cutting in, filling knife, sanding pad, a good oil paint brush.
    Thanx for that CarrickMcJoe!Will add them to my list.also what brush would you recommend for painting the radiators?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

1 1/2 inch brush for radiators.

Advertisement