Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Festival Query regarding Legal Entity

Options
  • 15-04-2010 11:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi, myself and some freinds organised a festival in the midlands last year. We are also organising something similar this year but making it a bit bigger. We are getting sponsors, and looking for grant aid. Problem is we probably need to be a legal entity to do this. Has anyone an experience or advice? do we have to set up as a charity, would a partnership arrangement suffice? what do others do?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭DoMyBooks

Paddy,
    Often to get government funding you need to set up as a Private company limited by guarantee. The problem with registering that type of entity is that it cant avail of an audit exemption so increased running costs.

Have a read
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_company_limited_by_guarantee

If you've any more questions please free to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Jim from Cork

What sort of Festival is it?

I help to organise an angling festival here in Cork. Years ago I spoke with a solicitor about the legal ramifications (Duty of care etc.).
    His advice was to set up a LTD. company to run the event. This was not really a runner for us as it would involve extra expense on what is an event organised by local volunteers. We got around it by running the event on behalf of a travel company (the company that arranges the travel for the majority of the anglers). Doing this fulfilled the need we had to protect the voluntary organisers – law of deepest pockets and all that!

We secured some funding from Bord Failte for the event. There was no necessity to be a “legal entity”. BF do not just hand you a cheque but they pay our “suppliers” for us.

Depending on your situation etc. a LTD company is probably a simple solution.
    HTH

Advertisement