Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

999 Call from canceled Eircom line, possible ?

Options
  • 15-04-2010 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭

I have recently cancelled my Eircom line and I now have broadband and phone through a dish.

When I pick up the handset of my eircom phone I get a dial tone for about 10 seconds and then an Eircom add comes on telling me if i want to reconnect I have to ring an 1850 number.

Just wondering as I am getting a dial tone, would it be possible to ring 999 on this phone if I had to ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Satts wrote: »
    I have recently cancelled my Eircom line and I now have broadband and phone through a dish.

When I pick up the handset of my eircom phone I get a dial tone for about 10 seconds and then an Eircom add comes on telling me if i want to reconnect I have to ring an 1850 number.

Just wondering as I am getting a dial tone, would it be possible to ring 999 on this phone if I had to ?

Basically you have a dead line with a "soft dial tone" i.e. the line is connected to the exchange, but there is no account associated with it so it will not process calls other than to a specific set of numbers.

Usually you can call eircom sales on 1901

If you dial 199000 it should tell you what the spare phone number associated with that line is (automatic service).

I'm not entirely sure if 112 or 999 will work, they might. However, I certainly wouldn't rely on it as a means of contacting the emergency services.

The line is not active, and there is nothing to stop eircom from disconnecting it completely from the exchange at anytime for whatever reason i.e. it would just have no power / signal at all.

If the line has a "soft dial tone" it can usually be activated immediately by just calling 1901 and setting up an account. They just need to click a few mouse clicks to set the line up.

I remember we moved into an apartment and we had the phone + broadband (had our own modem) up and running within 24 hours.
    Phone was instant and the broadband was present on the line all along, just without any account! Once eircom provided us with log-in credentials we were online!

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Satts

Solair wrote: »
    I'm not entirely sure if 112 or 999 will work, they might. However, I certainly wouldn't rely on it as a means of contacting the emergency services

We use VOIP phone now with our broadband and it seems ok so far, but if there is no electricity, there is no phone. Might look into some sort of battery back up for this.
    We also have mobiles in the house.

It would be nice to know if we could ring 999 from this phone and use it as a third line of defence in case of emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,147 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Does 112 work in a mobile phone even if it didn't have sim?

Does 112 work in a mobile phone even if it didn't have sim?

I believe it does work.

So do I, never tried it though didn't want to cause an emergency

• Advertisement

So do I, never tried it though didn't want to cause an emergency

I'm in the same boat with the landline, tempted to ring it, but I know I will not.

Were you an altar boy 2 : )

Were you an altar boy 2 : )

No, I was too shy. Just as well by all accounts !! :(

Advertisement