Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why must you pay VAT on something you have not paid for???

Options
  • 14-04-2010 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    My friend recently told me about lockerz.com and I signed up.He redeemed his free prize which is marked as a gift but still had to pay VAT and import duty on his FREE GIFT.
    Why must you pay for VAT and import duty if you hav'nt paid for the item?I mean the site does'nt ask you for credit card details so you cant be charged?
    If someone can fill me in I'd appreciate it.Its still a good bargain though even with the charges-an ipod touch 32gb for maybe EUR60?I shoudnt complain!!
    Pm for invites if you want
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Because if the product is declared free of charge and invoiced as so the customs puts its own value on it and charges respectivly...

This can be answered better I imagine in online buying..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I agree. Moved to Online Buying & Auctions

dudara

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

There is a threshold limit on value for gifts or any company could import things as "gifts" instead of paying appropiate duties. Limit is 45 EUR if memory serves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Isn't VAT payable on the "value" of the goods? Normally market forces dictate the value in the price you have to pay, but if there is no payment and the "gift" comes from a comercial source then the revenue are free to decide what the value is and charge VAT accordingly. Just a way of stopping the misuse of the gift catagory and people getting away with under valueing goods.

Advertisement