Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with Name Pronounciation

Options
  • 14-04-2010 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I was hoping that one of you might be able to clarify the correct spelling and pronunciation of the name 'Líadan'. Not sure if it is pronounced LEE-a-din or LEE-a-dun or if it is more correctly spelt Liadán and should be pronounced LEE-a-dawn.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 SleepyTed

Craoltoir,

Thank you for responding. The information in that link page still shows there is conflict on how the name is spelt and pronounced.
    Googling seems to indicate that Líadan is the most common spelling but if the name is derived from Liath meaning grey, why is there a fada on the i.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

To me Liadán would sound correct, which would be pronounced Lee-a-dawn.I haven't come accross the name............

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

It's the name of a band from Conamara and they spell it as Líadan.
    They have a MySpace page-- maybe mail them, they're bound to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Dia diaobh!

Not sure if this is still of any use, but just saw the thread now (procrastination at its best).

Know someone of the name who pronounces it Líadan (so LEE-a-din or LEE-a-dun), so this way would sound correct to me now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

It's correctly pronounced Lee-an

• Registered Users Posts: 6 SiogNabhFiacla

Definitely not Lee-an!

It's pronounced (the name is actually in my family) LEE-a-din, although LEE-a-dun would probably be ok.

I've also come across the version Liadán, which is pronounced Le-a-dawn. It can also be spelt Liadain, Líadan or Liadhain...

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Definitely not Lee-an!

It's pronounced (the name is actually in my family) LEE-a-din, although LEE-a-dun would probably be ok.

I've also come across the version Liadán, which is pronounced Le-a-dawn. It can also be spelt Liadain, Líadan or Liadhain...

If you take the last one you mention there....Liadhan...with the 'h' added, that's where Qualityymark gets the Lee-an

No, where I get Lee-an is from people who studied Old Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Yes, and Liadhan, with the 'h' is not modern Irish!

• Advertisement

Comes from the story of Mídir (pronounced Mir) and Liadán (pronounced Lee-an); those Old Irish types pronounced quite a few things differently - for instance they pronounced 'th' as 't', hence 'Stoneybatter', 'Butter Mountain' and other terms that come from 'bóthar'.

Advertisement