Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banana Plant

Options
  • 14-04-2010 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I planted a bananna plant last summer which I bought from B&Q and it was doing really well and looked the business at the bottom of my garden..... until it died when the snow came earlier in the year.

I'm thinking it might not be suitable for this climate.
    Is it worth while trying to plant a new one this year or will the frost get it in the end next winter???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

sse wrote: »
    I planted a bananna plant last summer which I bought from B&Q and it was doing really well and looked the business at the bottom of my garden..... until it died when the snow came earlier in the year.

I'm thinking it might not be suitable for this climate.
    Is it worth while trying to plant a new one this year or will the frost get it in the end next winter???
    Banana trees need a lot warmer climate than we have had in the last year, they need a frost free climate really. In a greenhouse or Polytunnel it will grow but not outside and definately not in the kind of sustained cold we had this winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

They have a banana plant in one of their glass houses, it flowered last year but provided no fruit.

Advertisement