Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dB Technologies PA System

Options
  • 14-04-2010 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Hey guys my band and I are planning on buying a PA system for our live shows. We are considering buying dB Technologies Flexsys Concert System (Link below)
    http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/EUR/PA/S ... 007442-000

I am just wondering if anyone has heard this system and what do they think?
    Does anyone know what kind of reputation dB Technologies have for PA systems?

Any help would be appriciated

Thanks

J.A.M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭PMI

Hi I have stood in front of this system as well as the line array Db stuff and I heard them the wrong way round, they showed me the line array 1st :(

I loved the Mid hi boxes on this system but the bottom end was lacking in comparison to some others that are currently around, but im sure with a good graphic / digi desk you could sort that.

But I must say again the Mid Hi's we're amazing for the price etc...

hope this kinda helps?!?

Also depends where your playing, it would be the longest throw but if your mainly pubs/nightclub/functions etc.. it will be ideal as the dispersion is pretty good too :D

1 other thing was the jump from the 18" to the 12" it kinda lacked in the 2-350hz end of things but not as bad as some others ive heard so usually I would say with an 18 run a 15 but in this case its pretty insignificant :D

Theres a guy in wexford bringing these in now and has a demo rig so might be work a listen, I think you will like it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I've had generally positive experiences with dB Technologies, although not heard the Flexsys stuff. You get what you pay for.

I will say that those subs are fugly in the flesh, but if you can live with that then you'll have a decent sounding rig for a good price - that's something of a niche for dB Tech.

IIRC those tops are dual 12's so can't be polemounted for smaller gigs, not sure if that would be a concern for you having to always use the full rig. Some similar systems on the market allow a degree of flexibility which is something to consider when the gig simply doesnt call for a rig of this size.

/tangent: I've also heard the DVA Array and it was superb, probably would've bought it if not for my latent brand snobbery :o

/back on topic, would I buy this rig for the money? Probably...but only if I didn't have to move it around often :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 SKYJAM

Thanks for the input guys :)

I still havent bought anything yet. If there are other systems you would reccomend in the 7000 euro range then let me know!

SKYJAM wrote: »
    Thanks for the input guys :)

I still havent bought anything yet. If there are other systems you would reccomend in the 7000 euro range then let me know!
    Oh now that's a different discussion entirely. For which we'd need more info, such as intended use? Is it 4/5pc rock band scenario? Does your budget include having to buy monitors/mics/desk/toys?

If I had €7k to spend, I would not be looking at dB Tech to be perfectly honest.

• Advertisement

Savman wrote: »
    Oh now that's a different discussion entirely. For which we'd need more info, such as intended use? Is it 4/5pc rock band scenario? Does your budget include having to buy monitors/mics/desk/toys?

If I had €7k to spend, I would not be looking at dB Tech to be perfectly honest.

We are a modern Rock band and we are running guitar, bass, drums, vocals and possibly keyboard through it.

We are only buying the main PA we are not buying monitors, mics or desk.

We want the system to have Tops, Mids and Bass Active cabs and it has to be at least 4.5K watts.

SKYJAM wrote: »
    We want the system to have Tops, Mids and Bass Active cabs and it has to be at least 4.5K watts.
    Self Powered is definitely a good route to take. However you should lose your perception of "watts" which only shows you how much power a system uses and nothing about how loud it actually is. I know this goes against everything we think we know, took me a while to get my head around it.

Anyway, you could look at dB Tech's bigger brother RCF, we've been using this for a while now and they are trailblazing the Active speaker market. Check out any of the Art/4Pro/NX range, it is all designed to work with each other unlike some similar systems a la HK Audio Actor/Deacon/Projector which needs all the elements in order to work. In the long run, you will be happier with a modular system that scales up and down depending on the gig.

JBL's PRX range relies on Crown Power and Processing, which has questionable reliability of late (Itech and XTi in particular). QSC have some powered boxes on the market too which get rave reviews, however they're not long enough doing this niche for my liking so they haven't been properly roadtested IMHO, so could be a dark horse.

I'd be avoiding Mackies or JBL EONs personally. Dynacord D Lite has some nice boxes and Electro Voice's ZXA stuff gets fantastic reports too. Any of these would be a better investment than dB Technologies, in my humble opinion of course. You'll get a lot more speakers for your money with dB Tech, granted, but sometimes less is definitely more.

Self Powered is definitely a good route to take. However you should lose your perception of "watts" which only shows you how much power a system uses and nothing about how loud it actually is. I know this goes against everything we think we know, took me a while to get my head around it.

Anyway, you could look at dB Tech's bigger brother RCF, we've been using this for a while now and they are trailblazing the Active speaker market. Check out any of the Art/4Pro/NX range, it is all designed to work with each other unlike some similar systems a la HK Audio Actor/Deacon/Projector which needs all the elements in order to work. In the long run, you will be happier with a modular system that scales up and down depending on the gig.

JBL's PRX range relies on Crown Power and Processing, which has questionable reliability of late (Itech and XTi in particular). QSC have some powered boxes on the market too which get rave reviews, however they're not long enough doing this niche for my liking so they haven't been properly roadtested IMHO, so could be a dark horse.

I'd be avoiding Mackies or JBL EONs personally. Dynacord D Lite has some nice boxes and Electro Voice's ZXA stuff gets fantastic reports too. Any of these would be a better investment than dB Technologies, in my humble opinion of course. You'll get a lot more speakers for your money with dB Tech, granted, but sometimes less is definitely more.

Thanks for your insight, looks like i've alot more research to do!

I appreciate it :)

Whats around for the same money at the mo? I really cant think other than the older Dynacord P5's etc... everything else is long throw which is of no use to the guy?

Let me know as im interested in knowing :)

PMI wrote: »
    Whats around for the same money at the mo? I really cant think other than the older Dynacord P5's etc... everything else is long throw which is of no use to the guy?

Let me know as im interested in knowing :)
    Any of the above examples I mentioned, none are sold as 'long throw' except the Projector. Dynacord Powermax is starting to show it's age tbh, D Lite range seems to be where they are going now.

But like I say, RCF for powered boxes all the way, the OP could get a pair of Art or 4Pro subs and choose any 2 tops he wanted from the entire range and still have change from €7k.

• Advertisement

Sorry man didnt read all of the above :D now I see...

Yeah P5 is def showing its age now, its done its time ! :D

Nice rig, would be better served with better amplifiers. Those Crown XTi4000's are not up to hard gigging and the internal processing has a mind of its own. QSC PLX are a far better alternative, or Yamaha P7000S even.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I 2nd the poor quality of the XTI range. Had 2 XTI's, Mind of there own. The software is not exactly user friendly and only works on a PC.

Ended up selling them off and getting QSC PLX3602's. Solid amp with switches for changing settings.

Advertisement