Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

claiming from Aviva

Options
  • 14-04-2010 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if its really an issue per say but...

Why can you only claim health expenses (GP, Chiro etc) from Aviva (or others, I'm just with Aviva) during the year. Why do they make you wait till the end of the policy year, when you may not remember all the expenses or still have all the reciepts?

Why not every 3 or 6 months. Its a lot of money to have built up IMO.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

I can only imagine it's to try and cut down on duplicate claims and administration?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Maybe I am misunderstanding the question, but we can (and do) claim our VHI expenses as soon as they arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Not sure if its really an issue per say but...

Why can you only claim health expenses (GP, Chiro etc) from Aviva (or others, I'm just with Aviva) during the year. Why do they make you wait till the end of the policy year, when you may not remember all the expenses or still have all the reciepts?

Why not every 3 or 6 months. Its a lot of money to have built up IMO.

You could be onto something there. Imagine the amount of money that they don't have to pay out until the end of the year, then imagine how much interest/investments they could earn on that sum during the year as well.

I reckon it's a bit like the way banks process credit transfers. They take the money from your a/c immediately but hang onto it for 3 or 4 days (most likely earning them interest in the meantime) before depositing in the other a/c.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I have the same issue with Aviva - although I don't mind too much - every receipt goes into the medical section of my docments folder.

Anyway, moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

I would imagine premiums would have to increase if claims were allowable more frequently because there would be a cost to administer each claim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

dudara wrote: »
    I have the same issue with Aviva - although I don't mind too much - every receipt goes into the medical section of my docments folder.
    The chiro is my main bill and they'll just print them for me whenever I want so that ok, its more the point that I'm 25 down every 6 weeks till the end of the year :(
    dudara wrote: »
    Anyway, moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions
    dudara
    thanks
    broker2008 wrote: »
    I would imagine premiums would have to increase if claims were allowable more frequently because there would be a cost to administer each claim.

I would imagine the vast majority is computerised and with the reduction in customer base that all health insurers have suffered the staff wouldn't exactly be 100% busy anyway. the cost of printing a cheque and an envelope are negligible - as Welease said VHI allow it

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

I would imagine the vast majority is computerised and with the reduction in customer base that all health insurers have suffered the staff wouldn't exactly be 100% busy anyway. the cost of printing a cheque and an envelope are negligible - as Welease said VHI allow it

All 3 insurers are out the door at the minute.

I would be very surprised if VHI continue with the practice as they have increased excesses, reduced number of allowable visits and reduced the amount allowable per visit. - source: www.hia.ie

Advertisement